Saturday, December 2, 2017

Shoes that make a difference...

Last week both Ken and I got new shoes.  I was especially thankful for these new shoes since I had been having trouble with both my feet and my knee recently.  Let me tell you these new shoes  feel a bit like walking on pillows.  I just did not realize how bad my old shoes had gotten.  Which brings me to the point of this blog.  We are so blessed to have multiple shoe stores that are close to our home, we have the funds to purchase shoes, and we actually have more than one pair of shoes! 

Gwen happened to mention to me that someone she knows had sent her a link to a fundraising page for "Shoes that Grow" to be given to children in Mumbai, India.  I have actually heard of these shoes that will expand up to 4 or 5 sizes to continue to fit a child as they grow. 


I have been on several mission trips  outside of the United States. On each trip I was shocked at just how many of the children were bare footed.  In both Kenya and Uganda  I would estimate that 75% of the children that I met did not have shoes.  Seeing the dirt, the rocks and the general garbage laying around, it seemed impossible to imagine having to go bare footed.  While I have never been to India, I can imagine that this problem is just as serious there.  

I have decided to donate to this fundraiser in honor of my four adult children - Gwen, Tim, Doug and Susie.  Each of them have always had shoes and all of them are now buying shoes for their own children.   It really seems like such a small thing, yet I believe that this will make a difference to some boy or girl who may not have anyone to buy them shoes!

The link that Gwen got from her friend is Erica Roane - fundraising page.  While I don't know this person directly, I trust that these shoes will be purchased and brought to India.  And the cost of $15 per pair makes these even more amazing.   Please take a moment and click on this link to read more about these shoes. 

I don't often promote fund raisers on this blog, but this has just been on my mind since Gwen mentioned it.  The new shoes on my feet have also been a reminder of the blessing of having shoes.  

Thinking about this verse  Psalm 119:105
     Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path
it is my prayer that these shoes will come with the Good News of Jesus that will guide these little ones into the path of their destiny.  

Jesus, thank you for the opportunity to help children who are so far removed from me.  Thank you for Erica Roane and her heart to help this children.  Holy Spirit, remind us all to look outside of ourselves and our immediate families to see those in need.  Guide our steps as we each do as you direct.   Thank you for comfortable shoes!  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment