Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Not your typical Christmas this year.....

In spite of Covid, I got to spend Christmas Eve with Gwen and Tim and the kids.  I have been basically staying home, except for seeing their family.  I was so thankful that it worked out for me to be with them this year.  With losing Ken, it would have been really hard for me to be alone - Covid or not.  
We are all quarentining right now so that our whole family, including Doug, Susie and Grace, can celebrate Christmas on January 2nd.  Something I am really looking forward to.  

We had a lovely dinner that included lighting the Advent candles.  I really enjoyed seeing the kids so excited for Christmas.  After dinner, we all went to church.  Gwen and Tim's church has been meeting with social distancing, masks worn, and special cleaning protocol.  I realized that being at the Christmas Eve candlelight service was the first time I have been in church since last Christmas.  That hardly seems possible.  But Ken was in the hospital and not well basically the entire three months that Covid wasn't an issue.  And then after that, everything was shut down.  Yes, this is certainly not a typical year.  

Even with masks, and the small number of people there, it was so wonderful.  Gwen actually sang which made the service even more special for me.  It was such a blessing to be able to do this.  

I spent Christmas day home alone, which was pretty normal for me.  I watched many movies, ate lots of junk food, worked on my jigsaw puzzle, and just enjoyed my decorations.  And since then, I have been quarentining so that we can have our family Christmas.  I've done many facetime calls with Grace and Doug and Susie.  I've talked to my sister several times.  And I've basically just been enjoying this time to do nothing.  

One of the hardest things for me in the last months has been figuring out what to eat.  I have sort of fallen into a pattern of eating a bigger meal at lunch time and then sort of snacking in the evening.  I was searching around for something to eat the other day and settled on this.  A favorite of my mom that always brings me back to so many times eating this with her.  Yes, peanut butter toast with hot cocoa.  This was my breakfast for many years growing up.  I couldn't count the number of times we ate this in the last years of her life. It was such a familiar and comforting meal.  As a matter of fact, I think I'll have this again!  

So, no, this was not anything like Christmas' in the past for me.  I don't think I could have imagined a year that was so different.  But yet, it was so normal and so familiar.  There was the excitement and joy of the kids.  There were the beautiful lights and decorations everywhere.  The music - oh how I love all the Christmas music.  And the candlelight service at church.  Yes, I am missing Ken.  And my mom.  But Christmas brings to the forefront the greatest gift we ever received - Jesus.  And because he came, death is no longer the end for us.  We can look forward to seeing our loved ones again one day.  And that is an amazing gift.  

My prayer is that all of you will find familiar things in the midst of this very non-typical year.  In spite of masks and social distancing and all things COVID, Christmas still came. Jesus has rescued us.  What a blast of hope and joy that brings.  This is a really good time to remember the end of the story.  Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of Lords and he reigns!  No matter what is going on, we can celebrate the Good News!  

Jesus, thank you for all the normal things in this not so normal year.  Thank you for being the light of the world that shatters the darkness.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your comfort for all of us walking through a not typical holiday season.  Thank you for peace and joy when it doesn't make much sense.  Help us all to keep our eyes on you Jesus, and to let go of fear and worry.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment