Friday, February 20, 2015

Looking back....37 years

Ken and I have just passed another "anniversary" of sorts.  Thirty seven years ago we moved into our house.  This picture was actually taken in late January of 1978 - BEFORE the house was totally done.  There was a BIG snowstorm on January 28, 1978 and the closing was delayed.  It was an interesting time for Ken and I.  We had totally packed our apartment and had a sea of boxes with a tiny path through the rooms.  We had hardly any food in the house since we THOUGHT that we were closing and moving on the 30th.  Well, it snowed and snowed and our closing was canceled.  As a matter of fact, we didn't end up closing until the 19th of February and we moved into the house on the 21st. So it was an interesting few weeks. I am so thankful that we bought our house and decided to move out of our comfort area (which was about 25 miles north and west from where we live).

I remember when we moved into our house it seemed SO BIG!  It has three bedrooms and 1.5 baths.  Compared to our 1 bedroom apartment it was big.  But in reality, it is a very small house. Over the years it has felt very small at times.  When we had two teenagers and all their friends, it could get very tight.  When the kids moved out, Ken and I have had years of once again knowing that our house is plenty big enough for us.  Truthfully, now when the kids come home, it once again feels pretty cozy when you add the grandchildren and the dogs!
And once again, here is our house now.  With new siding and new windows and doors.  It's so interesting to see these pictures side by side (so to speak).   Yes, I am quite happy with my cozy little home!

What a great reminder today about perspective.  How big or how small something is....well it depends on your perspective.  My small little house (by the standard around here) would be a real mansion in some parts of the world.  And on the other hand, it would seem like a tiny cottage to some in other areas where large estates, castles or palaces are the norm.  Considering that many around the world live in huts with dirt floors or many don't even have a roof over their head, I feel blessed. 

I was thinking about the old adage "Home is where the heart is".  Yes, it is really true.  It doesn't matter where you live, as long as those that are important to you are there with you.   In my Bible reading this morning, I was reading in John 14.   I love this chapter that starts with these words of great comfort from Jesus....."Do not let your hearts be troubled."   Jesus then follows this up with an instruction...."You believe in God; believe also in me"   And then Jesus says  "My Father's house has many rooms, if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?"   That is a house with many, many rooms that I am very much looking forward to.  The most important thing will be that Jesus is there, along with all of the "Saints that have gone before".   Yes, that will be a home where my heart is!   

So, it has been an interesting day.  I have been thinking about perspective and in that, I have been feeling thankful and hopeful.  Yes, there has been a breakthrough in my spirit this week.  I feel as if I am moving toward the end of that tunnel.  It is a wonderful, freeing feeling.  Even though it is VERY COLD outside, and winter still seems to have a strong hold on us, my overwhelming feeling is that SPRING IS ON ITS WAY!   So that is is the message I am leaving you tonight.  Spring is coming!  It's right around the corner.  And, to just add a bit to the message...consider perspective tonight!  

Jesus, thank you for your provision that includes my wonderful home.  And thank you for the room that is prepared for me in your Father's house!  Holy Spirit, keep our eyes open to see with YOUR perspective.  Remind us when it is cold and dark that spring is near.  Thank you Jesus for leaving your Word so that we could hold fast to your promises!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment