Monday, June 22, 2015

The power of the written word!

I began the clear out of the scrapboooking room today.  This included sorting through piles of papers that were stored in two metal file cabinets that were moved into that room awhile ago.  There was a wild mix of stuff from old bank statement to insurance stuff to just plain junk.  But there were a few treasures among the junk!
I found this really sweet letter.  I really didn't remember receiving it.  It was addressed to me from Gwen.  This was during her second year away at college.  I love the VeggiTale stickers on the outside of the envelope!  I love that the letter is addressed "Dear Mommy" (from my 19 year old!).  I love that the letter is all about the little stuff that is going on at college.  Mostly, I love that she even bothered to take the time to write to me.  It just makes my heart happy.  Yes, there is something really so powerful in the written word.....ink on paper.  I know that this is sort of a silly comment coming from a "Blog" (which is NOT ink and NOT on paper).  But this just affirms for me, how important it is to not lose the art of letter writing.  

Now I know this is going to sound really silly, coming after that paragraph, but I am also SO HAPPY that most of our "important" accounts (bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc) now are NOT sending us paper statements anymore!  We do all of that stuff on line and get our statements via email!  And boy oh boy, is that better than all of the stacks of stuff I went through today!  I am so grateful that I will not be spending hours and hours shredding stuff!  And the good news about today is that I now only have one small box of must keep items out of two metal file cabinets!  So it was a very successful day.  

This whole "letter" thing was another reminder to me of how important my actual Bible is to me!  I know I have talked about always having my "EBible" with me on my cellphone.  But, when I pick up my well used, all marked up with notes, Bible and feel the weight of it in my hands and see those pen marks, I just feel that rush of love.  Yes, that also makes my heart happy!  

Thankfully Gwen knows that I keep all of the thank yous that I receive from the kids and always include them in my yearly scrapbooks.  I just know that someday they will love to look back on these.  And just like Gwen's letter, these make my heart happy!  
Yes, there is power in the written word.  No matter what the content, no matter what the occasion - or no occasion at all - there is power.    So I guess that the final thing about all of this is, the written word is important!  Whether it is ink on paper or typed in an email or into a blog or even on an app on a cell phone, every word is important.  This has me thinking about all of the letters that I need to write.  My encouragement to you today is to sit down and write that letter, that thank you or that little note you have been meaning to send.  Pick up a few blank cards the next time you are at the store and just ask Jesus to show you who might need a thought or a prayer from you.  I am sure that we can start a cascade of blessings by doing this!  Let's make someones heart happy today!

Jesus, thank you for letting me find this special letter from Gwen.  Holy Spirit, you bring encouragement to us so often through other people.  Remind us to take the time to put words onto a page - either in ink or on email.   Jesus, thank you for Your Word - the Bible.  What power there is in those pages. Holy Spirit, give us creative ways to share Your Word with others!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment