Sunday, June 7, 2015

When you need a little help.....to get around!

This morning my feet were slightly better.  I could walk to the bathroom without cringing the entire way.  After my shower I used the new "Blister Bandaids" that I bought yesterday.  And with the cushioned ball of foot insoles I got for my shoes, I could ALMOST walk normally.  I could still feel the pressure of those blisters, but I wasn't in as much pain as last night.  We had already planned to use UBER (which is a really neat, almost taxi like service that has people using their own cars to shuttle you all over) today to get to the Zoo.  The really cool thing is that you request a ride, tell them the destination and your location, they arrive, take you to where you want to go and they get paid automatically through the credit card that you set up on your account.  So no fooling with payment or having cash.  We could not believe how quick, easy and CHEAP it was to use this service!  We took three different UBER trips today and it only cost us $22 (our first trip was free for starting the service, but it would only have been around $10).  Each time we waited less than 5 minutes for a pick up!  MY FEET LOVED THIS SERVICE!  I highly recommend using UBER!

We started our day at the National Zoo.  Our goal was to see the Pandas and the Elephants (sadly the two Zoo's in Chicago no longer have elephants).  We entered the Zoo nearest the Pandas, and went there immediately.  There was a volunteer talking to some people at an overlook, so we went there first.  And there was BoBo, the baby (2 years old) Panda eating his breakfast.  We got a better view of BoBo from the actual Panda viewing area.  So Ken got some great shots of BoBo eating a frozen snack that had been given as a treat!  The two adults were never out when we were there, but we were just glad to see any Panda!

  The Elephants are right next to the Pandas and we saw several!  One was even taking a bath.

 We saw lots of amazing birds and then a real "highlight" of the trip was watching this orangutan cross the zoo on this high ropes course kind of thing!
It was interesting that this was totally out in the open!  I really wondered why he didn't just jump down (although it was really high)!  There were Zoo employees watching very carefully and reminding people not to stand directly underneath her as she crossed the walkways!Orangutans are not "potty trained" and will relieve themselves whenever and wherever they are! It was amazing to watch her swing along, sometimes using her arms and sometimes her legs!  

The Zoo reminded me a bit of the San Diego Zoo.... it is built on a hill.  Thankfully we entered at the TOP of the hill and the entire trip was downhill!  We exited at the bottom of the hill and got picked up by the UBER car within minutes!  We headed off to the Botanic Gardens.  This was a good place to visit today since I could sit and rest my feet at benches around every turn.  It was quiet and peaceful and really is an incredible display of plants, flowers, and trees.  I saw this.....
Yes, this is a Banana Tree!  I don't think I have ever seen one before.  It is interesting that the Bananas grow UP! Around one turn I saw this waterfall.....
I stood and stared at the water for a long time.  I love waterfalls!  The flowing water always brings me back to my life verse...... John 7:38  Jesus said, "Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them". Yes, it was a day of lots of quiet prayer and people watching for me!  It was a perfect spot to spend several hours on a Sunday afternoon.

We ended our day at the Museum of the Native American people.  We had a wonderful lunch at the cafeteria there (thanks to a recommendation from a friend....Buffalo Chili and Elk burgers!) and then toured the museum.  We got deposited back at the hotel by Uber much cooler and far less tired than the previous days!  As a matter of fact, we went for a rooftop swim!  Yes, a wonderful day.

That UBER ad is actually on our very well used map of Washington DC.  We have used that map over and over as we have walked the city.  I know that we could just use our phone maps, but there is something so satisfying to me about actually seeing clearly exactly where we are going.  I am kind of "old school" about this.  I have only recently stopped bringing a paper atlas when Ken and I take these road trips!  As I was reading the Bible today, near that waterfall, I was thinking about this exact thing.  I could read my Bible because it is an App on my phone!  Without that, I would not have been lugging my Bible around with me.  So, I have grown and changed in many ways.  I have graduated to a digital Bible (for when I am away from home....I still like to hold my favorite Bible in my hands and read from that).  And I use Goggle Maps on my phone for directions.  But I also love that crumpled map of the city.  And I am thankful that I can even find my way around on that paper map!

Jesus, thank you so much for this day.  Thank you for new, innovative services like UBER and the wonderful drivers we met today!  Bless each of them as they go about their days.  Holy Spirit, thank you for provision for hurting feet...quiet benches and wonderful gardens to relax and catch our breath.  Thank you for the animals of the world!  Jesus thank you for reminders of all that we often take for granted.   And Jesus, thank you for your continue healing of my feet!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment