Monday, June 29, 2015

Reminder from 1942....

 Sometimes you find the most amazing things when you clean!  I know, I know!  I've said that more than one time on this blog.  So I cleaned my scrap room and took 4 large bags of books to Goodwill on Saturday.  That was actually just the tip of the iceberg on books that needed to go.  Today Ken and I actually took another 5 big bags of books to Goodwill!  We dusted and cleaned off book shelves and reorganized.  In the middle of the day we realized that Ken needed a book shelf for the Camera Room.  So off to IKEA we went for yet another assembly project.  There was more than one amazing find in
this cleaning process, but this was really amazing.
This little book belonged to Ken's dad, Mervin Rowley.  He served in the Navy in WWII and this was the book he carried with him.  When I opened the book, I couldn't believe what I found on the front cover and flyleaf....

I particularly liked that this prayer was important enough that it was pasted on the front cover.  The sweet little book includes a complete Protestant service, a Catholic service, and a Jewish service.  It also includes about 100 Hymns.  In the back of the book there is a guide for Army and Navy funerals, showing placement of honor guards.  And there are several special prayers for certain ranks.  Quite a complete little book.  

And here is the reason for this blog.  I was so saddened by an article I saw last week about a Marine who is now unemployed and without Veterans benefits because of a Bible Verse. 

A United States Marine was convicted at a court-martial for refusing to remove a Bible verse on her computer – a verse of Scripture the military determined “could easily be seen as contrary to good order and discipline.”
The plight of Lance Corporal Monifa Sterling seems unbelievable – a member of the Armed Forces criminally prosecuted for displaying a slightly altered passage of Scripture from the Old Testament: “No weapon formed against me shall prosper.”
Sterling, who represented herself at trial, was convicted February 1, 2014 in a court-martial at Camp Lejune, North Carolina after she refused to obey orders from a staff sergeant to remove the Bible verses from her desk.
She was found guilty of failing to go to her appointed place of duty, disrespect toward a superior commissioned officer, and four specifications of disobeying the lawful order of a noncommissioned officer.

Doesn't that just seem impossible? How did we get to this point from that wonderful book of my Father-in-Law?  From 1942 to 2015....... wow!.  Instead of giving out a powerful little book of prayers and hymns, our military men and women may get a dishonorable discharge for posting a one line passage of Scripture.  That change happened in under 75 years.  Yet that prayer from Washington had been around for 153 years! Yes, it seems there has been a sad decline in the last few years.    

 I know that even as there are so many people just seeing gloom and doom for the United States, this just sort of adds fuel to that fire.  But my message tonight is exactly the opposite of that!  I am really encouraged by this little book tonight.  I am blessed to know that my Father-in-law thought enough of this book to keep it.  And I know that my dad most likely had the same book.  I am thankful that our country has these deep, deep roots of faith and trust in God. I am blessed by this prayer of our first President.  I am thankful for all of the seeds that have sown by our military as they have prayed and trusted in the provision of Jesus.  And I am encouraged by the body of Christ that is still standing and praying today.  Jesus is Lord.  He is on the Throne and He reigns over the United States, whether we acknowledge Him or not.   

Jesus, thank you for the years and years of blessing and protection you have given to the United States.  Holy Spirit, bring encouragement and hope to all who are feeling overcome by fear and doubt.  Thank you Jesus for reminding me, even with the discouraging news these days, that you have a destiny for the United States and you are faithful to bring it about.  Thank you for people who are willing to take a stand for you, no matter what the cost.  Bless Monifa Sterling and the many others like her who are being persecuted for their faith.  Thank you for courage and boldness to proclaim your great power.  Amen  

No comments:

Post a Comment