Wednesday, October 2, 2019

When you touch a piece of your own history....

Our family spent last weekend in Des Moines, Iowa visiting with some of my extended family for a reunion.  It was so good to be with family that we haven't seen since 2011.  We gathered at a hotel meeting room and just sat and talked and shared so many memories.  Our kids camped at nearby campgrounds but still spent plenty of time at the hotel.  We had hoped to get as many of my mom and dad's descendants as possible in attendance, but schedules just didn't allow for some to attend.  We were missing one of my brothers.  We were missing three of the grandchildren.  And only 9 of the 27 great grandchildren made the reunion. And none of the 3 great-great grandchildren attended either.  
But those of us who were there sure had a great time.  None of the family actually live in Des Moines, but it was a really good meeting spot.  The majority of us drove about 4 hours to get there.  My niece Amy got the prize for coming the farthest... she lives in Arizona!  

It was so good to get to visit with my brother-in-law Roy.  At 86 years old  he got the "prize" (if you can call it that) for being the oldest member of the family.  I shared with him that I have very few memories that do not include him!  My sister Karen began dating Roy when I was only 4 years old.  So Roy has always been a part of my memories.  Roy has been working hard on our family tree and has so much information gathered.  He brought me a large portrait of my paternal grandparents that had been gifted to my sister Karen some years ago.  This is a much smaller image of that portrait of my grandparents, Axel and Betty Johnson.  

 The most amazing thing Roy gave me is a letter that had been in my sister Karen's possession. He recently found this letter when he moved into a senior living apartment and he knew that it would be meaningful for me.  This letter was written July 25, 1916 to my great aunt Anna Toensing.  It was written by my grandmother, Nora - my mom's mother - who died in April of 2017.  Aunt Anna moved in to her brothers home after his wife died to help raise his four daughters.  She was the only "mother" that my mom ever knew.  



Holding this letter in my hands was amazing.  Reading it was incredible.  My grandmother talks about her illness, about the doctor visits and her hope that she will recover soon.  Sadly, that did not happen.  I love that it mentions "the baby is walking now"!  That baby was my mom.  I know that my mom would have loved this letter, although I don't think she ever saw it.  I love the very ordinary things that Nora shares in this letter.  She talks about needing to can the many blueberries that are on their property.  She has socks that need darning.  And she apologizes for missing the funeral of Arnold's (my grandfather) brother, Fred (who died in March of 1916).  She says that the winter was especially bad with lots of snow and very cold.  She sounds so desperate to just feel better and to be able to do all the things that a mother of four small daughters needed to do.   I can imagine Aunt Anna, reading this letter and wanting to help in some way.  Shortly after this letter was sent, my grandfather made the decision to sell his farm and move his family to St. Paul.  This was both so that my grandmother could get medical care, but also so that his extended family would be there to help with the four young daughters.  
This is the only picture that my mom ever had of her with her mother.  It was taken in the fall of 1916, not long after the letter was written.  You can see in the picture just how thin and frail Nora was as she looked lovingly at my mom who was about 15 months old..  Mom was one month shy of two years old when her mother died.  

Yet, here I am, in 2019, ONE HUNDRED AND THREE YEARS LATER,  holding four pieces of paper that Nora had once held in her hand.  The writing looks so similar to my mom's handwriting.  
I am feeling a connection to my grandmother that I have never felt before.  Tracing the words on the page, and knowing the outcome of her story, I am moved to tears.  It now seems so important to keep those handwritten notes from my children that are in my jewelry box.  It has also shown me, again, just how important it is to put words on a page.  While I know that these blogs are not "handwritten", I am convinced that they will live on, long after I am gone.  The journaling that I do in my scrapbooks, along with preserving the photos, has taken on a whole new meaning.  Someday, the everyday things that I am sharing might be especially meaningful to someone down my family tree.  

Sitting here, holding those very old, faded and yellowing sheets of paper in my hand, I am trying to imagine a time in the future when a great grandchild, or a great-great grandchild might be looking at these blogs and feel a connection to me that they had never known.  It sure gives a great deal of weight to the words that I choose to put on paper.  The most important message of all of this is that we ARE connected to our generations.  Those before us and those after us.  It gives importance and meaning to the idea that we need to pray for our generations yet to come.  I want to leave a spiritual legacy for my generations.  A legacy of loving Jesus and a life bathed in the truth of the Bible.  It is my hope and prayer that even the everyday words and the sharing give a clear picture of the importance of my personal relationship with Jesus.  Nothing else matters.  

Most importantly for all of us, it is not too late.  Draw your family close - it doesn't matter what might have driven you apart in the past.  Seek out ways to connect and share.  We can all begin today building that legacy for the future.  Each of us has the ability to impact those around us.  We can smile at someone, help a friend in need, or volunteer.  Big things and small things, it just doesn't matter.  Take even one small step today, thinking about your legacy.  Let us all make this world a better place - not only for us but for those who will come after...... 

Jesus, thank you for loving my family.  Holy Spirit, help us to see and know when our actions are influences in the world.  Thank you for placing reminders in my hands of your working in my family so many years ago. Give us courage and boldness to share our testimony with others.  Let us love the world with your love, Jesus.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment