Friday, November 7, 2014

Putting some finishing touches on our house..... and today's revelation!

I've blogged many times about scrapbooking.  Yes, it is my passion.  I love this hobby.  This amazing device above is my trusty Cricut machine.  It is a die cutting wonder that I don't think I could get by without!  Tonight I actually used it for a very different purpose.  I cut numbers and a letter for our house numbers.

Now I know that sounds just silly.  But here's the thing.  We have been looking and looking for house numbers and we just can not find them.  EVEN ON LINE!  You see, in our county, the address also includes LETTERS with numbers.  And there are no stores around here that carry letters.  Isn't that just nuts?  I mean, wouldn't you think that someone would figure this out and corner the market on house numbers with letters that match?  So Ken decided that he would cut out the numbers and letters himself from a piece of black plastic.  So I cut out the perfect templates for him.... on my Cricut machine!  Picture will follow, after the job is actually completed.  We are still waiting for the trim pieces to be installed above the door (which is where the numbering will go), so it will be a while!

I was thinking about this "unusual" use of my machine.  And that led me to think about the many times that I have used objects in ways that they might not have been designed.  I don't think I am the only cook that has used large wooden spoons as "turkey lifters".  And I've been known to use paper clips to hold up a hem that has come down.  Or even taken a stapler to that same hem.  Here is an amazing thing in the Kingdom of God.  Each one of us can be one of those used in "unusual" ways!

Most people are pretty aware of the various ways that Jesus has gifted his people.  Some are pastors, evangelists, prophets, teachers, apostles.  And some have wisdom, faith, or discernment. Some have a knack for hospitality, serving, or giving or leading.   No matter what your "primary" place of service may be in the body of Christ, Jesus can use ALL of us in ANY of these ways.  I know that this has been something that I have to always think about.  We tend to think that only some people can tell others about Jesus.  You know, those "evangelist" types, or the pastors.  I honestly once thought that only pastors could really pray for people.  It is amazing and wonderful when we learn that Jesus doesn't care at all about titles or labels.   He will use anyone who is available to accomplish His plans and purposes.  Isn't it funny how we want to limit the ability of the Holy Spirit to use us?  We get so stuck in our own little boxes that we miss what Jesus is doing.  I am not downplaying the very real "call" that we may have to one specific area or type of ministry.  This is very real.  But I have learned that most people are used in many different ways at different times and in different places.

I think I have shared this tonight because I needed to be reminded. We all have times when we feel that little nudge of the Holy Spirit to talk to a stranger, to reach out to a neighbor, or to call someone we haven't spoken to in a long time.  Or maybe we are prompted to send a donation to a cause that has shown up on our facebook feed.  Or we have seen on TV or on the news.  Or when a friend is sick or in some crisis we just KNOW that we should pray, but we are afraid to step out and just do it!  And then we convince ourselves that it is not "our calling"or "our gifting", so we miss the opportunity.
Imagine for a minute, how many more people would hear about Jesus if we all knew we might be the one to tell them.  Or how many more people may get healed if we all saw ourselves as people who CAN pray and let Jesus do that healing.  This list could go on and on.

So I will be more available in the days ahead, as I remember this lesson about "unusual" ways we might be used by Jesus!

Jesus, thank you so much for this reminder today.  Forgive me for all the times I discounted MYSELF and did not follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.   Thank you for all those who DO follow your prompt and walk "outside of the box", doing your work in unusual ways.  Help us all to grow in confidence that when you call us to a task, you will empower us to complete it!  Amen

PS.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS FOR LUCAS!  His jaundice is resolving and his weight is going up!

No comments:

Post a Comment