Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Funny what triggers a memory!

I have had quite an interesting couple of days.  First of all, it has been less than desirable weather.  And that is more than an understatement!  We have had snow, wind, more snow, and sub-zero temperatures with serious wind chills.  I drove up to Gwen's house in really nasty driving.  It was the kind of drive where the roads are snow covered and you can't see any lane markings.  It was also very icy under that layer of snow.  When you approached intersections you never knew if you were going to stop...,...or slide right through.  The good thing about this trip is that it takes place at 5:30am!  Which  means that the roads are mostly empty.  I made it to Gwen's about a half hour later than normal and Gwen had a LONG commute to work!  But I had another wonderful day with the kids.  After getting the older girls on the bus, Zeke announced that it was a "pajama day".  He did not want to get dressed!  I had to agree with Zeke, it was a good day to just stay in your jammies and huddle under a blanket.  Zeke is quite a kid.  He plays for hours by himself.  On this day, this was his "toy" of choice......
A boy and his balloon!  Who needs toys of any kind when you have a five cent (or less) balloon.  For a while Zeke and I played a bit of "balloon volleyball" and Zeke's rules included that the balloon could not touch the floor!  But for most of the time, Zeke was just happy to be batting that balloon around.  There is something so wonderful about seeing the simple joy of a little boy having fun.  You just have to smile!  And along with this entertainment, I had this cute face to look at....
It is wonderful to see Anna really becoming her own sweet little person.  She has several words now and gives amazing "loves" where she leans into your neck and even pats your back with her hand.  She knows the motions to "The Wheels On The Bus" and loves making her wipers "SWISH". (If you don't know this cute little kids song, it's worth watching on youtube)  There is just so much joy in being with these kids.  It is so good for my spirit.  

In spite of the cold today (and I mean COLD as in close all the schools and libraries and put out warnings about the dangers of being out in the cold), my small prayer group decided to meet.  And because I was already out, I went to spend a couple hours with Susie.  I have been so thankful for the free time that I have had.  Being off of work has been such a "BLESSING" (and yes I know that I have used that phrase, once again.  But just as I said in my last blog, this has been a comfort to me in my mourning).  I know that IF I had been working, it would have been very difficult, if not impossible in the last months.  I love that I have been able to be a support for Doug and Susie. I have had freedom to be with them, which has been good for me also!  Today when I was watching Sammy and Kylie enjoying their new dog beds, I had a sudden flash of this picture...of my childhood dog.
For Trixie's entire life (which was my life from age 3 until age 20), she slept in this metal dog bed.  She did not have a "memory foam mattress" but did have a nice thick, old rug and several blankets.  At "the lake" she had a cardboard box under one of the couches.  You can see that her face is very grey in this picture.  This picture was taken sometime in the last 5 years of her life.  Yes, it is interesting when a simple thing, brings back a long ago memory.  I am so grateful for Sammy, Kylie and Chandler.  I can get my "doggie fix" without actually HAVING a dog in my house!  Today, it was Sammy and Kylie that brought me joy along with this memory!

Joy seems to be the current word that is bouncing around in my spirit.  Just like that balloon, I have little bubbles of joy seemingly bursting out of no where.  It doesn't make much sense.  And I seem to be taken by surprise when it happens.  There are many verses that talk about Jesus bringing joy.  At times it feels so "out of place" that I have a hard time embracing that joy.  But joy seems to be the perfect partner for the hope that Jesus has been bringing into me since Lucas died.  Because I have been really accepting and embracing hope, that joy is right there.  Isn't it wonderful that the Holy Spirit knew that without that hope, the joy would be lost.  I am so thankful for the gift of hope that has already been living in my spirit.  And here is the really amazing thing, tonight as I am writing this blog, I realize that I am filled with even more hope than I had yesterday!  That joy came with even more hope!  What a wonderful and caring God we have!  

Jesus, thank you.  I am so grateful for your love and care and the way that you meet my needs in such real concrete ways.  Thank you for bringing me joy in the midst of grief.  And Holy Spirit, thank you for knowing that I needed hope to receive joy.  Continue to breathe hope into Doug and Susie and all of my family.  Jesus, there are many who are in the midst of grief.  Bless them with hope and fill them with bubbles of joy.  Amen  


No comments:

Post a Comment