Sunday, January 25, 2015

You can't always believe what you read..............

It has been an up and down sort of weekend for me.   On Saturday night we decided to try out a new location of a place that we often visit.  We had driven by that new spot and it looked like it was ready to open.  Then on Thursday, we received this coupon magazine in the mail with this cover...... "NOW OPEN".  So off we went, hoping to enjoy our favorites in a new, much closer to home, setting.  But, alas, when we get there, the parking lot was roped off and there were signs that said "OPENING ON WEDNESDAY".   Needless to say, we were not happy to have to decide....AGAIN....where we were going to get something to eat.  I guess you can't always believe what you read!

That got me thinking about all the things that we read on the internet, that are simply not true. It is really hard to not enter into long "discussions" on Facebook that start from statements that are just not true!  Sometimes, and these are much harder, the topic is really a "grey" area that isn't right or wrong.  Or comes from someones perspective.  Well, you know that I have been mulling over, thinking about, digesting all about THE PRESENCE of Jesus.  And here is one place that I am so thankful for that presence.  When you are walking each day, welcoming that presence of Jesus, the gift of discernment is in full operation.  The Holy Spirit is quick to point out the things that are TRUE that can be celebrated.  And also those things that are FALSE.  And the good news is that the Holy Spirit will also dispense grace to walk through those "grey" things.  So this blog is all about another reason that I am grateful for the presence of Jesus, every day in my life.  And even on those "other" days.   When things do not go so well.  When the wave comes.  It is the presence that calms the wave of grief.

 Unfortunately, this "not quite true" even happens on some Christian pages.   I am so...SO blessed by those that I know I can trust fully.   By now you know that I love, trust, embrace The Passion Translation.  This morning I shared a post that reminded me of my last blog, about footprints.  How wonderful it is to read comforting words posted at the beginning and the end of the day.   These have become a life line for me.  I have to confess that some days are good days, but some are not.  Our family is going about the business of day to day life.  But at some unexpected places, each of us faces those waves of grief.  Last weekend, while at the conference, I was chatting with the woman in front of me in the food line.  We talked about where we lived and the session that had just finished.  And then she casually asked me "Do you have grandchildren?"  And and I said "Yes"!  This questions was followed by the moment I was not prepared for......"How many?"   I stopped short.  Tears came to my eyes and I almost could not speak.  Somehow I had not considered how to best answer that question.  It was one of those waves of grief that swamped my boat.  Thankfully, that new friend was very understanding and shared a much needed hug with me.  And we talked for a bit about Lucas. But that is just how we are getting by.  Some days are better than others.   I know that is is certainly the presence of Jesus that fills me and sustains me and helps me put one foot in front of the other each day.

So, when you are wondering "Is this really true?"  Stop.  Have you welcomed the presence of Jesus today?  Ask the Holy Spirit to increase discernment for you.  You will be amazed that things will clear up for you.  You will know which discussions you can join and which you can not.  You will also be assured of the truth.  And if you are having one of those bad days....for whatever reason....the presence of Jesus will smooth the way for you.

Now, here is the really good news for today.  All of the conference sessions on THE PRESENCE are available on audio files at The Chicago HUB.  Just look for the post on The Presence and you will find out how to get these messages.  I have to say each session was anointed.  You will be blessed no matter which you listen to.  The entire conference is worth a listen.  Let me know what you think!  I would love to hear how you are impacted by the presence!

Jesus, thank you so much for meeting me just where I am each day.  Thank you for providing me resources like The Passion Translation and The Chicago HUB.  Holy Spirit, encourage us all to use your discernment when we read and consider things on the internet.  Remind us to welcome your presence Jesus.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment