Thursday, January 1, 2015

A New Years adventure......and hints of what might be ahead!

 Early this morning Ken decided that we should take advantage of a "warm" (well, it was 28 which was warmer than yesterday's 14) sunny weather and take a short drive.  He wanted to head over to the Iowa border and look for some eagles to photograph.  It was supposed to be about a two hour drive and it was a really nice day.  So, off we went!

The GPS first took us to the Iowa side of the Mississippi River, north of Clinton, to a park.  The park was supposed to be closed (according to the internet), but was actually open.  We drove to this spot and Ken walked down to see how close the river was and determine if he could spot eagles from this location.  I (wisely) decided to stay in the car.  This was my view.  If you look through the trees, just above the ground, you can see the river.
Ken returned after a very short time and said that this was not a good spot.  We decided to go over to the other side of the river (near Fulton, Illinois) and look for a road that actually goes to the lock and dam.  We found the spot and there was even a raised "observation deck" for Ken to get a better view.  As you can see there was one other brave soul out there looking to take pictures of the eagles.  There were a couple of eagles and Ken did get some shots.  Once again, I stayed in the (relatively) warm car.
When it just got simply much to cold, Ken finally said he was done.  We went to the other side of the lock and got some pictures up close of the ice on the river.
I actually got out of the car and took some photos of the river.  One is already posted on Facebook.  This photo was taken of an overflow part of the river.  Plus, on the way out of this area we actually saw two eagles nests.  So I know that we will be returning to this spot a bit later in the spring.  We headed home.  It is interesting to travel through so many small towns.  Ken and I were talking about the people who live and/or work in these small towns.  It is quite interesting to consider what keeps people in out of the way places.  As we were approaching a "downtown" intersection, I noticed a small sign - "Covered bridge" with an arrow pointing left.  Since Ken has been looking for these covered bridges, off we went!  Just a short distance outside of town, there it was.
Now this is a NEW covered bridge - actually built in 2002.  But it was still very cool to see.  Ken got some pictures and we left for home, just as the sun was beginning to set.  Yes, it was a New Years adventure.  It was not how I thought I was going to spend the day, but it was very enjoyable.  

While Ken was off, outside in the cold, and I was sitting in the car, I had some time to let the Lord speak to me.  First of all, I believe that there are sunny days ahead for us in 2015.  Our family really could use some sunny days.  Even though we went a bit off track (at first) we did find the exact correct place.  And I believe that will be true in 2015 also.  We will not just be going off in the wrong direction.  It will just be a bit of a detour and we will get to the correct place....as long as we are going!  A wise man once told me "you can't steer a docked ship.  It has to be out in the water in order to steer it"  So I will remember that I need to be going in the year ahead!  As I was watching Ken actually shot photo's of eagles that were soaring over the river, I was saying a bit of a prayer of thanksgiving.  Not only did he actually get to see the eagles, he was provided a raised platform with a much better view.  And I was reminded that when we stop and see things from the perspective of Jesus, we will understand and have a much better view of the circumstances we face.  We always have access to that higher and better perspective.  We just have to stop and take the time to get to that spot. And I believe that it will be extra important in 2015 to be aware of all that is around us.  Just like those eagles nests that we saw off in the distance, nearly hidden in the tree tops, I believe that we will have signs and symbols that will bring us into great new adventures in 2015.  We could easily have missed that sign announcing that bridge, if we had not been aware of things around us.  Seeing that covered bridge was really just the icing on the cake for us today.  And I believe that there will be many, many more of those special gifts for us in 2015.  We just have to watch for the signs!  

Yes, today was a great way to start the year.  I was very glad to have the special time to really listen to what Jesus wanted me to hear.  I love that in every situation there is an opportunity to get a message from the Lord.  

Jesus, thank you for today.  Thank you for bright sunny days, short drives that bring surprises and eagles soaring over the river.  Holy Spirit, thank you for speaking to me through each of these places. Thank you for words of encouragement and hope for 2015.  Help us all to remember to get going, to see from your perspective, to be aware of things around us and to walk in your leading.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment