Friday, March 6, 2015

Double Blessing Day!



Today is a special day for our family.  Today is Doug's birthday and it is also Ellie's birthday!  The top picture is Gwen and I with sweet Ellie in 2009.  Yes, she is 6 years old today!  And the bottom picture is Gwen and Doug in 1982 on the day that we brought Doug home from the hospital.  He is 33 today. This was long before siblings were allowed to actually touch the baby in the hospital.  Gwen was so excited to hold her brother.

We just never imagined that we would have shared birthdays.  As a matter of fact our family had a get together the weekend before Doug's birthday in 2009 and Doug actually told Gwen not to have the baby on his birthday.  We all laughed about this since his birthday was 4 weeks before her due date.  She assured him that she would not hit his birthday.  But, low and behold, Ellie decided to make her appearance on March 6 at 4:30am.  So, indeed, this is a double special day for us.

Today I spent some time running a bunch of small errands.  I think I made 6 stops in a bit over an hour.  I made a couple of returns, bought a couple of gifts, stopped at couple of stores but didn't find what I was looking for, and went grocery shopping.  I noticed that I felt an extra bounce in my step and had a smile on my face.  Nothing like a couple of birthdays to lift your spirits!  Tomorrow Ken and I are taking Doug and Susie out to dinner to celebrate his special day.  And on Sunday, Ellie is having a "Hello Kitty" birthday party.  It will be quite a weekend.

I kind of did a double take when I typed the title of this blog post.  Double Blessing.  I have been holding on to the word that 2015 is a Double Blessing year.  Today, it is especially easy to hold on to that hope.  Yesterday Doug stopped by after work to help Ken bring a very large and very heavy cabinet up to his new photo studio room.  (My back thanks Doug very much!)  It was so good to chat with Doug.  I am so thankful for him and the amazing man that he is.  On Tuesday, Ellie was talking about her upcoming birthday party.  I loved the big smile on her face when I told her I would be there!  I am so thankful for her caring and loving heart.  I can't wait to see what amazing, creative, artistic things she accomplishes in her life!   Yes, a day like today is evidence of the double blessings promised for this year.  I loved this post on Elijah list in January from Curt Landry - just click on the this link - The Double Portion in 2015.  This is just one of the many, many words about this year.  It is a time of great expectation of what Jesus is doing in us and through us this year.

It was really, really cold again today as I was out doing those errands.  The wind was blowing and the temperature was in the low teens.  So the windchill was well below zero.  I really didn't notice the cold until I had a cart full of food to load (and unload) from my trunk.  By the time I had gotten everything into the house I noticed that I had lost that spring from my step and didn't feel a bit like smiling.  But then I remembered this day and the double blessing.  I was able to shake off that bit of a funk from the cold weather and felt that joy returning to my spirit.  When I happened to glance out the window, the sun was shining on the snow and ice and there was a hint of a rainbow in the reflection on the snow.  It was so beautiful!  I suddenly had a flash of that really large HOPE banner sailing over me and then all was right with my world.

This has been a good start to the weekend for me.  And all of this double blessing and all of the joy and every bit of that hope is right there for you also!  No matter how cold or dark or sad your day might be, Jesus is there to turn things around for you.  There is DOUBLE to go around!

Jesus, thank you so much for Doug and for Ellie on their special day.  Thank you for knowing exactly what I would need as I looked out of the window today.  Holy Spirit would you share some of this hope with everyone who reads this blog?  Let them see and know that banner of hope is flying over them!  Thank you for joy that takes you by surprise.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment