Thursday, September 17, 2015

Breakfast in honor of my mom.......

I woke up this morning and all I could think about was this breakfast.  It may not look like much, but peanut butter toast and hot cocoa was my breakfast for YEARS when I was growing up.  And it was one of my mom's favorite things.  We often had this "snack" late at night (while we were up playing cards or Yahtzee).  I am not sure if it is the "September" thing and back to school, or the cooler weather (although it has actually been HOT this week) that brought this into my mind.  Whatever the reason, I made my hot cocoa and toast and sat down at the table, all the while thinking about my mom.  Yes, it was one of those times when I was so missing her!  It would have been so nice to be able to pick up the phone and give her a call.  I don't think you ever stop missing your mom.  On Monday, while I was at Gwen's, I was talking with Ellie.  Somehow we got around to talking about Great Grandma Nona.  She was telling me that she remembered her and that she thought she was having a good time in heaven with Baby Lucas.  Then she said that she missed her.  I said I missed her also since she was my mommy!  I wish I could have taken a picture of Ellie's face.  She was stunned.  She said, "Great Grandma Nona was your MOMMY???"  She had never made that connection.  I suppose that this conversation with Ellie may be part of the reason I was thinking about this breakfast.

Isn't it interesting how two things just "go together?"  Some people would never think that peanut butter toast would taste good when dunked into a cup of hot cocoa.  But let me tell you, it is a real treat.  The peanut butter gets warm and gooey and the combo of chocolate with peanut butter is always good (think Reese's Peanut Butter Cups).  If you haven't ever tried this, I suggest that you do.  It is really good.  There are lots of other things that make good "partners".  French fries and ketchup, mashed potatoes and gravy, biscuits and gravy, the list could go on and on.  But it is those times that you find two things that should NOT go together.....but they do....that is so interesting.  My very favorite of these unlikely pairs is potato chips and ice cream!  

I've been thinking about my very special small group.  This group of ladies have been so important to me over the last year.  And we are really an "unlikely" group.  We have been assembled through some very unusual connections.   We are different ages, have different backgrounds, different jobs, our children are different ages.  Some of our kids are still very young and some of us have grandchildren.  Even our church backgrounds are very different.  But when this group of women prays, things happen.  We have seen answers to prayer, been supported and loved and learned and grown through each other in ways that are just amazing.  The presence of Jesus is so strong during our meetings and usually we just follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.   I didn't know most of these ladies just a year ago, yet today, I can say they are my closest friends.  They know my hopes, my dreams, and my heart.  I can count on these gals to pray when I send out a text to the group.   It is wonderful how Jesus can mold us and change us to become one cohesive group.  A mish-mash of different people that Jesus has assembled together.  And it is the BEST!

My wandering thoughts today have brought me to this point.  Never dismiss something because it doesn't seem to "go together".  Whether it is a food pair or people in a group.  Don't be quick to decide that it won't work.  I can assure you that peanut butter toast and hot cocoa is great...and a unlikely group of people can turn into a great support system and prayer warrior friends.

Jesus, thank you for knowing exactly what we need and when we need it.  Thank you for memories and reminders of loved ones who are now with you.  Holy Spirit, help us to stay open when you present us with new and different situations and combinations.  Thank you for great food and great friends.  And Jesus, thank you for my mom.  Amen

1 comment:

  1. Love your posting Lyn, I will have to try the peanut butter toast and hot cocoa this fall or winter, when it begins to cool off here in sunny Florida- sounds yummy- and I love peanut butter! I appreciate your sharing about your unique small group and it gives me encouragement- moved to Florida a couple years ago and its been an adjustment to say the least leaving my amazing small group I had grown close to in Wheaton IL. I recently joined a Big bible study and are in a small group- and many different persons- diverse- Hard not to compare what you had before when it was so special and dynamic- But I won't be quick to decide as you said- I will give it time and enjoy studying the Word and allow the Holy Spirit to be in our midst and bind our hearts together. Blessings & Keep writing for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete