Monday, September 7, 2015

When you feel "SEW" old!

Last week I bought this project.  Don't ask me why.....it might have been my upcoming birthday.  I have done some projects like this in the past, but not for years and years.  I happened to see a bag of embroidery floss for under a dollar on a clearance rack when I was shopping.  So I bought it!  Then, a few days later, I saw this bookmark on a clearance rack at another store for $1.23.  So I bought it!  I decided to put the two items together and started this project.  Sometime yesterday (on my actual birthday) I realized that doing this project made me feel.....well VERY OLD!  For some reason it just seems like something that a "grandma" sitting in a rocking chair, would be doing.  That or knitting!  I know that there are plenty of young people who do embroidery, but possibly because it was my birthday, it just seemed like a pastime for a very old person!  I am going to finish this project and I am actually enjoying it very much!  I guess you can't fight aging.

Today we celebrated my birthday with a get together at our house.  Having the kids and grandchildren here really makes our house seem SMALL!  It was a great day, in spite of the rain (while I was trying to grill lunch).  We did get a walk to the playground in (which made Zeke a very happy boy).  We all went - even Ken - Doug, Susie and Kylie and Sammy also!  It was a hot and humid walk and it started rain after a very short visit.  But we did get to the park




Later Gwen and Tim and the kids walked to the bridge.  It was a fun walk, looking for fish in the little creek.  We saw a few frogs, threw in some sticks and rocks, and even saw a couple small fish!  I snapped this picture of Gwen's family.  

It was a great day.  I was thinking about getting older, family, and the last year.  Of course, every time we are together, we are missing Lucas.  Actually, we are missing Lucas every day. Susie recently got a wonderful tattoo in memory of Lucas.   Even though time passes, we will never lose Lucas.  He is a part of our family.  I am so thankful for family.  Close family and distant cousins.  People that I haven't seen for years and these sweeties that I got to hug and kiss today.  Each member of my family has had a part in creating who I have become in these 61 years.  My mom, my dad, my siblings.... helped to shape my very being.  And I am so blessed to have Jesus filling my life with His hope, love and peace. 

 I picked up one of my favorite daily devotional books..."My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers and opened to the reading for September 6.........  the verse is John 7:38 (my river verse, of course)....  and I especially loved this part....
A river is victoriously persistent, it overcomes all barriers.   Into your life an obstacle comes and you do not seem to be of any use.  Keep paying attention to the source, to God, and he will either take you around the obstacle or remove it.  Never put your eyes on the obstacle or the difficulty.  That large rock is of no mind to the river.  Never allow anything - no difficulty, no obstacle to come between you and Jesus.  No experience, no emotion, no event - NOTHING can keep you from the one source of your life - Jesus.

Yes, Lucas' death was certainly a barrier in the river for me.  But, just as this devotion points out, the river keeps on flowing, and really pays no attention to the large rocks or even total blockages in the path.  The river just flows over or around or even under and continues on.  I am so, so grateful that Jesus has continued to be that life giving source for me and my family.  What a wonderful gift!  Just what I needed for my birthday!

Jesus, thank you for reminding me that your great love flow into us and through us no matter what our circumstances.  Holy Spirit, thank you for nudging me toward this devotion, just when I needed it.  Thank you for family, for food and for fellowship and fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment