Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Thinking about the Feast of Tabernacles.....

This picture from 2005 is the first time I ever saw a "booth" constructed for the Feast of Tabernacles.  What a blessing it was to have a couple who had actually lived in Israel and had really done serious study on the Feasts of the Old Testament build this booth and then teach us about this celebration.  During that year, we were learning more about the Jewish feasts and how they pointed the way to Jesus and "fit" with our Christian beliefs.  When you actually see and DO these different feasts and celebrations, there is so much more reality to those verses in the Bible that reference these feasts.  My life verse (John 7:37 - "Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them") actually happened during the Feast of Tabernacles - on the "last and greatest day of the Feast".   The couple who brought this booth to life for me, brought pictures from Israel of all of the booths near the homes in Jerusalem.  It was really something.  The purpose for these booths was to remind all of Israel of the time when they were wandering in the desert.  God wanted them to remember His faithfulness to bring them to the promised land.  The booths had natural materials for the roof so that the stars were visible at night.  Another way for them to remember God's promises.   Additionally, this fall festival was to celebrate the bringing in of another harvest.  There were sacrifices and also eating and drinking that are a part of the celebrations.  During the time that this booth was set up, a small group of us sat and worshiped in that booth.  We sang and prayed and then we celebrated Communion.  It was one of those times when the presence of Jesus just overwhelmed us.  Each year when this festival comes around, I remember this day.

It is really a shame that we don't have a week long festival every year for us to stop and take a break from our regular life.  How wonderful it would be to be able to spend a week with friends and family, remembering all of the wonderful things the Jesus has done for us.  Can you imagine the wonderful buffet dinners that could happen from "booth to booth"?
Yes, this is my (not so wonderful) cell phone picture of the Blood Moon from Sunday night.  As I was sitting out on our patio watching that amazing eclipse happen, I was thinking about those booths.  Our new neighbors were also out in their backyard.  Those 10 year old boys were really amazed at what they were seeing.   I loved looking up at the stars and enjoying the wonderfully cool night air.
I was wishing for that week long time to just stop and reflect.  

I am so incredibly thankful for the different people who have intersected my life in different seasons. The couple who shared this booth with me have moved to Florida.  While I was writing this post I realized that I have never told them just how important this teaching was to me.  I will need to send them an email as soon as I post this blog!  Even though we don't celebrate this festival, we can still stop during this season, and reflect on the goodness and blessings of Jesus.  It is a great time to share our testimony with others.  It's a harvest time, so we can also eat some great things, and share them with others.  And we can remember, also, to be grateful for all of the people who have enriched our life.

Jesus, thank you for speaking to me through the Feast of Tabernacles.  I am so thankful that you have "tabernacled" with us through the Holy Spirit.  What an amazing reminder this is for us to stop and remember all of our blessings.  Holy Spirit, bring to our minds the people that we may need to bless or thank.  Thank you Jesus for bringing the Bible to life through things we can see and touch.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment