Wednesday, June 25, 2014

"Waiting in Silence for God only"

So I am remembering my last post......getting dumped on. Last night it became apparent that our Air Conditioning was not working - again.  So today we had yet another service person out to look at our unit.  And it was all bad news.  Both Ken and I thought our furnace and air conditioner were around 15 years old.  Sadly we were mistaken.  They are actually from 1993, and beyond good functioning.  So, we will be arranging to have a new furnace and air conditioner installed.  It does feel a bit like getting dumped on.  Especially since I have not found a new job! 

But here is the thing.  I am not feeling all that upset about this.  And I believe it is because of all the prayers that are being said for me right now, since I am unemployed!  Isn't it funny how that works out?  If I wasn't being covered in prayer by so many faithful friends, this might have really thrown me for a loop.  But today, it just seemed - sort of just one of those things.  As a matter of fact, I know that the Holy Spirit gave me wisdom and a potential plan of action to take care of not only this event, but also several other large repairs that are needed on our home. 

Being in that "dump" of the Holy Spirit on Sunday night sure helped and I am so thankful.  I've been reading Psalm 62 this week and meditating on everything packed into these verses. 
1 My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.
2  He only is my rock and my salvation. My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.
3. How long will you assail a man. That you may murder him, all of you, like a leaning wall, like a tottering fence?
and then verse 5  My soul waits in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him.
6.  He only is my rock and my salvation.  My stronghold. I shall not be shaken.

I can not seem to let go of the concept of waiting in silence for God.  On Sunday night we were talking about how often we babble on and on with our requests to God.  Like somehow our words are going to achieve something.  I know I have been guilty of this.  It's really easy to cross a point into feeling like if we pray the right words, if they are exactly right, THEN our prayer will be answered.  And the reality is that God is the one who acts in His own time.  And I have discovered this week that there is great peace in waiting silently for God only.   I had waves and waves of peace just wash over me.  No direct answers to my needs.  But peace that passes understanding.  Wonderful, warm, comfort as I just sat and waited in silence.  I have to say this was some of the most wonderful prayer time I have ever had.  I am so thankful for the leader on Sunday, that brought forth this particular Psalm, in this translation (NASB).  If I were reading this in NIV (my usual, preferred version) I would have missed this.  It really does not read the same at all.  What a blessing this has been to me!And the evidence of all the peace I have received, is my response to my broken air conditioning. 

Jesus, thank you for preparing me for this week.  Holy Spirit, I love how you know exactly what we need and when we need it.  Thank you for Nancy and her insights shared that bless so many.  Holy Spirit, help us to all to get comfortable being silent and waiting.  Thank you for the peace you give in the waiting.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment