Monday, December 15, 2014

When the holy invades the secular......

So today I was really taken aback by a commercial on TV.  It began with a family around a Christmas tree, the house is all decorated for the holiday.  There are stockings hanging, presents under the tree and then the doorbell rings... the little girl says "IT MUST BE SANTA!"  She runs to the door and flings it open.  In walk three scantily clad "Elves" and Santa.  (And here comes the part that really got to me)  This was what they said....
"WE HAVE COME TO BRING YOU GOOD NEWS OF GREAT JOY"
And then the next line was..... of all things..... some wrestling stuff that will be on television next week.  Really???   I couldn't decide if it was better or worse that it was SANTA saying those words.  I guess I would have been much more offended if they had used people dressed up like angels.  But those Biblical words just kept swirling around in my head.  I was thinking about this.....
This was Lia's Christmas program in 2011.  She is that sweet little angel on the right.  I am sure that there are many, many Christmas programs around the world, with sweet little ones who are reciting that Biblical verse.... sharing the good news that will be of great joy to ALL people. The proclamation of the birth of Jesus.  

Isn't it interesting how the HOLY invaded the secular?  At first I was thinking that the secular was invading the Holy.  But it really is the other way around.  This is exactly the way that the Holy Spirit works.  There might be some who think this is just "making fun" of that Biblical passage.  But Jesus knows better.  I am sure that there are many people who will see that commercial, and like me, remember the TRUTH about that line from Luke 2.  Maybe some who only heard that phrase in some long ago Christmas pageant, or possibly from a Christmas Carol.  That is the really amazing thing about the Holy Spirit.  He can use the littlest thing to remind, to convict, to comfort, to encourage.  

So I am thankful tonight for that commercial.  And I will be praying that every time that the commercial airs, the Holy Spirit will be at work.  I know that Jesus can accomplish His work through any means....even a television commercial.  And for me, today, it was good to be reminded of all of the Christmas programs that have brought those verses to life for me.  It has been very difficult to really enter into this season.  To think about that precious baby boy that is the central focus of Christmas.  And then to think about our sweet baby boy that we are missing so much.  But today, I was able to shift my focus to the powerful impact of those important words, and feel a bit of that great joy in my spirit.  

Jesus, thank you for stopping me in my tracks and letting me really hear and see this television commercial today.  Thank you for using it powerfully in my heart today.  Holy Spirit, please reach and touch the many, many others who will see that advertisement.  Let them all be impacted by the Holy that is invading homes all over the country.  Thank you for working in the most unusual ways.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment