Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Seder with friends......

This morning my small group took the time to have an abbreviated Seder in thinking about Passover (and Maundy Thursday).  As usual, it was a wonderful time with friends.  We were able to talk through some of the things that we know about the Passover/Jesus connection.  It was a great prayer time as we all discussed our upcoming Easter plans.  Needless to say, we all need prayer! It was a great focus on the added "big event" of Passover (which is on Friday of this week).  

I actually brought this little booklet with me this morning and it is the first of my memory triggers for these posts this week.  Notice the date on this.......2001.  Yes, 14 years ago.  This booklet was prepared for a children's program at my church.  We had a large group of children in a midweek program and decided to do this "family" Seder event.  If my notes attached to this booklet are correct, we had 16 tables of 6-8 people.  That is over 125!  There was a leader at each table and we worked through the Seder together.  It was followed by the very best "pot blessing" meal that included a real leg of lamb!  It was an amazing time and I remember the looks of wonder on the faces of many of the children as they connected all that we had been learning about Communion and Easter with this special meal.   I was actively involved with ministry to children and youth for more than 20 years.  This event always comes to my mind as one of those God ordained things that I am honored to have carried out.

I will never forget Maundy Thursday in 1991.  Yes, I know the year for sure!  I had just started attending a new church, which was far from "traditional".  This was a change for me, and I was quite curious how they would handle these Holy Week services, which just seem to cry out for tradition.  That year we were blessed to have a presentation by a Messianic Jewish man called "Christ in the Passover".  I admit that I had never really thought much about Passover and really didn't understand what the importance might be.  That night changed my life.  I understood the Bible in a new way.  And it opened the door for me to understand how Jesus is the fulfillment of all of the Old Testament Festivals and Feasts.  There are many resources available to learn about this and I strongly encourage you to read up on not only Passover but each of the Feasts.

Tomorrow I will post a bit more on the Maundy Thursday/Communion connection for me. Yes, more memories.  And another "big event".  This has really been quite a week.  Today was a wonderful burst of spring for us.  It was 70 degrees and sunny and the windows are open.  A friend gifted me these amazing flowers.
I am so thankful for all of the little things and the not so little things this week.  I am thankful for friends and flowers and family.  I am grateful for Passover and the people who helped me understand what God was doing to reveal Jesus.  And I love the spring coming just when I most needed sunshine and warmth.

Jesus, help us all to stop and consider this week, who you are and your amazing sacrifice.  Holy Spirit encourage us all to learn and grow and understand more about the Fathers plan to redeem his people.  Continue to put people and resources in our path that would reveal your great love for us.  Bless your people in Israel and bring revelation to them of Jesus' work on the cross.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment