Friday, April 3, 2015

There is a Green Hill Far Away.......

Yes, this song has a special place in my heart.  I remember this song from a Good Friday worship service sometime during my Grade School years.  Because my mom worked full time, we rarely went to any "special" services.  But one year (I think it was the same year that my brother had to acolyte for all of the Lenten Services) we attended the Good Friday Service.  I remember singing this song.  My mom told me that this was her favorite Good Friday song....because it was simple but told the whole story.  And that was a great picture of my mom.  She wasn't one to use flowery words and long descriptions.  I remember sitting in the dark church as the candles were extinguished.  It was truly an experience.

And then there was Good Friday of 1964.  I am sure I am not the only person who remembers that day.  There was a 9.2 magnitude earthquake in Alaska at 3:00pm on Good Friday.  I was telling Ken tonight that I was home by myself that day and watching TV.  There was an announcement about the earthquake and I really thought that this might mean that Jesus was coming back....right then.  Okay, I was only in 4th grade and had really just started reading the Bible.  So the fact that this happened on Good Friday (when there was an earthquake when Jesus died)....well my mind just went there.  And it made that day, extremely memorable for me.

So this is a couple of my Good Friday memories.  For many years (like 18 actually) I was a church secretary.  And let me tell you, there is NOTHING like Lent and Holy Week and Easter in a church office.  There were more bulletins to actually complete and print and fold than you could ever imagine.  During those years, I was just sooooo glad to make it to Good Friday.  Yes, I was glad and very, very tired.  I am sure that many who work in the church could affirm the feeling that it is very hard to keep your focus on Jesus.... rather than on the service.   It was always a challenge for me to enter into a place of worship when I stepped into my own church.  (I never attended the church I worked at....which is a very good thing).  Glad those days are behind me. (And give your church secretary an extra hug and thank you the next time you see her).

Today I spent some time just sitting quietly and keeping my focus on Jesus.  And as I did that, this song came into my spirit.  And I found myself singing it and reflecting on that day, so long ago.  It was one of those times when I wished, so much, that I could pick up the phone and call my mom!  But then I remembered exactly where my mom is right now, and all I could do was smile.  Because of Jesus, because of his great sacrifice...and because of Easter...I have assurance and hope of heaven.
So from a reflective, dark day I found myself moving into a place of peace and even joy.  I guess it is hard to stay in Good Friday when you KNOW that Easter is right around the corner!

Jesus, thank you.  I don't think there are words to cover this day.  Just thank you.  Holy Spirit, help us all to stop and focus today so that we don't lose the power and the full meaning of Easter.  Thank you for who you are and all that you have done for us.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment