Sunday, August 2, 2015

Another few days of dog sitting....and a "review" of an amazing show!

 
For a few days Ken and I are "Dog-sitting" Chandler (Gwen and Tim's dog) while they spend a few days on a much needed vacation.  This is the first time that we have had Chandler overnight without Gwen and Tim being here.  But Chandler has seemed right at home.  I am sure that the time I have spent at their house has helped Chandler really know me and I also know his routines.  Ken and I are enjoying being very part time pet owners.  For sure it has convinced us that we don't want to own a pet!  Having these times with our "grand-doggies" is just enough for us at this stage of our life!

Speaking of stages.....(how's that for a transition!) on Friday afternoon I saw both Lia and Ellie take to the stage as real performers!  They had been attending a drama camp during the week and there was a little show at the end of the camp.

This was the first time that Ellie had really taken part in a performance like this.  Her little group of five and six year olds did an amazing job of singing and dancing .  Ellie had several speaking parts and was so confident at the microphone!  We were amazed watching her sing and dance!
After this little program, the older kids had their turn.  I was so surprised to see Lia go the microphone to open the show!  Seeing her stand with confidence, at the microphone and sing made my heart so happy!  I was thinking about the first time I really heard Gwen sing like that (and she was much older).  I am sure that there will be many more "microphone times" ahead for Lia and Ellie!

You could just tell how much she was loving the singing and the dancing! The organization, Spotlight, that hosted this drama camp is a Christian group.  Both of the girls really flourished with the encouragement and prayer and guidance of the leaders.  The ability to perform with confidence was birthed in that nurturing environment.  There is no doubt that it makes a difference in how the children learn and the experience that they have during this camp.  I am sure that the girls will have future opportunities with this same group.  I can't wait to see more!

One of Ellie's songs was "A Bushel and a Peck".  My mom always said "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!" which came from this song.  And when Lia was really little I found myself saying the same thing to her.  I have continued to say that to all of the grandchildren.  When Ellie was on stage singing that song, I was thinking of how my mom would have loved to see that!  Lia's final song was "We Go Together" from the musical Grease.  And as Lia was at the microphone, singing her solo in that song, I was remembering the first time I heard that song.  It was May 2, 1979 and Ken had taken me to the theater to see the movie "Grease".  I was pregnant....VERY pregnant - actually overdue and very unhappy that this baby just didn't seem to want to be born.  This movie was Ken's attempt to make a very hormonal, crabby wife somewhat happier.  And it worked.  I loved the movie!  The next day I ended up in the hospital and the day after that, Gwen was born.  Every time I hear that song, I remember how happy I was that day.  And I was feeling that same amazing burst of happiness watching Lia, among her peers, singing and dancing!  

I love how Jesus gives us these seeming little things to remind us that we are living in a continuum of time.  Things from the past do have an impact on us, and we carry those into the future with us.  Ellie will have this little song in her spirit, and she will remember me saying those words to her.  And Lia is certainly a "little bird with a big voice" and she will be a voice to her generations.  I love that one line in that song "We Go Together" is  "We go together, just like brothers, we'll always be together".  I can see the Spiritual implications in that song.  When we are "brothers" in Jesus, we will always be together.  And Lia will be singing that to her generation.......

Jesus, thank you so much for songs that bridge generations.  Thank you for family, for furry friends and for times to celebrate.  Holy Spirit, help us all to be open to the times you remind us of our connections to the past.  Jesus, thank you for the leaders of Spotlight.  Bring them great favor and blessing as they train and encourage children and youth.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment