Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Another lesson learned from my mom.

So I was driving to my small group meeting this morning, and I started thinking about my mom.  It came to my mind because I was considering my current work "situation".  Truthfully, I have worked full time for most of my adult life.   With the exception of 3 years (after Gwen was born until just after Doug was born) I have been employed.  And even during those three years, I did in-home daycare.  I did have 6 years when I worked part time (30 hours a week) when my kids were in elementary school.  That is until the last year or so. What a blessing it is to have more freedom.  Time to attend Bible studies or small groups.  Time to spend with my grandchildren.  Time to just......be.   And then time to wonder exactly what I am supposed to be doing!!!!

My mom was mostly a stay at home mom.  That is until I came along.  She quit work when she got married and did not return to work until 1961 (when I was in first grade).  She loved being at home and always talked about making a hot lunch for my siblings when they came home from school.  I have amazing memories of being with her from ages 3-5 when we lived in Aberdeen, South Dakota.  She was a very active member of a group of women who played bridge one afternoon a week.  And I got to tag along and read books or color when they played cards.  She was also a "den mother" for my brothers Cub Scout pack.  I remember many trips to a hobby store to buy supplies for some wonderful craft (that I also got to participate in).  I also remember many days, just being at home with my mom.   And then she went to work full time.  Those were not wonderful years for me.  I was mostly left with my older brother, who did not want to be responsible for me.  From the middle of first grade through my seventh grade year, my mom worked.  And she worked LONG HOURS.  She left the house early and got home late.  I remember she was always tired.  And I know that she did not want to be working, but for financial reasons, she needed to work.

And then we moved to Chicago.  The very best thing (for me) about this move, was that my mom did not have to work any more!  WOW!!!  So for the rest of my "childhood" my mom was at home.  Okay......this is where I actually get to the point of this blog....... I was wondering what my mom actually DID at home during those years.  She was in her fifties and early sixties during those years.  We had just moved to Chicago and she didn't know anyone here.  She did not attend any church activities.  She did not even have a car for the first couple of years we lived here!  She could walk to a grocery store, but I mostly remember her going on Saturday when a car was available.  I know that she liked crossword puzzles and also liked to read.   My dad still traveled for his job a great deal and would often leave on Sunday night and not get home until Friday evening.  I started babysitting right after we got to Chicago and I would be gone often.   So what exactly did my mom do during the day?

Lately, Ken has been asking me that exact question. "What did you do today?"  It is really silly that I feel guilty when I don't have an immediate answer with a list of "valuable" things accomplished in the day.  But years of working has caused me to actually feel bad about just "being".   Today I realized that after those 7 years of working, my mom needed time to just BE!  She did not have to account for her time.  That is why I really didn't know what she did during the day and it never occurred to me to wonder about it until now!  Somehow I have been conditioned by the culture to question myself if I do not have something "meaningful" done on the three days I have free.   Honestly, I love having time to sit with a cup of coffee and not worry about having to be somewhere at a certain time.  I love being able to read for as long as I want.  This might be Scripture, or other people's blogs, or emails, or a good book.  I love sitting on the back patio and watching the birds and the chipmunks and squirrels.  When I do leave the house, I love that I can just stop at that store - the one that I never used to have time to just "browse".   I love that I can bake corn bread for dinner.  I love that I can cook dinners that take longer than 30 minutes.  Most of all, I love that I can attend my small group.  I can spend time in worship and prayer......NOT in my car!  And I can consider exactly what Jesus might have in store for me in the days ahead.

Yes, there are seasons in our life.  Times of work and times of rest.  Times when we are consumed by the needs of others and times when we can consider our own needs.  In every season the most important thing is time to spend with Jesus.  I am so thankful for my current "part time" work status, that has made this revelation possible.  And I am grateful for this important lesson learned from my mom!

Jesus, thank you for the reminder that you created the seasons of our life!  Holy Spirit, help us to have grace to just BE when you have provided the opportunity.  Jesus thank you for work and also for time away from work.  Thank you for time to consider what might be ahead for us, in your plan! And thank you for lessons we learn from our mothers! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment