Thursday, August 20, 2015

From one Facebook post to another....to back to school


I saw this post on Facebook this morning and immediately thought about my dad.  Today would have been his 102nd birthday!  He loved this hymn and it was sung at his funeral.  I had sort of forgotten that today was the 20th, but once I saw this, I put two and two together.   One of the things that I have heard about my dad, but never really experienced myself was that he had an incredible voice.  When he was a young adult and even after my parents were married, he would often be asked to sing solo's at funerals or special services at church.  My siblings all talk about singing with my dad in the car....but by the time I came along, there was no more singing when we took car trips.  My parents were both "older" (40's) by the time I was born, so there were many things that I missed out on during my childhood.  I don't remember my dad ever "playing" in any way with me.  I don't remember ever visiting a playground or park with him.  And even though he really enjoyed swimming, he never swam with me.  He would "take a dip" in the late evening at the lake (after working all day on some project or the other).  And I don't remember my dad ever going to any event at one of my schools (except my graduations - both 8th grade and High School).  Boy how things have changed.

What a dad my grandchildren have! Tim is a "hands on" guy who is just as likely to be changing a diaper or getting that cup of milk or throwing a ball around with the kids.  Gwen and Tim made the decision to home school Lia and Ellie this year, so, on what could have been their "back to school" day, Tim took Lia, Ellie and Zeke to Great America!  All of those kids are crazy for the rides - especially Zeke!  Gwen had to be back at work in her classroom, so I took care of Anna.  But what a dad.... that would take a 4 yr old, a 6 yr old and a 9 yr old to a theme park and spend all day standing in line with them!  Quite a guy.  I just scrapbooked this picture from 2013 (remember I am that far behind....sigh).
That is Tim, under that pile of kids (only 3 kids in 2013)!  So yes, from one picture on Facebook my thoughts went to my dad.....to what kind of dad he was.....to my grandchildren.....and then I saw this on Facebook.......
Yes, this is the very sad truth right now.  I am feeling so thankful for Gwen and Tim's decision to let Lia and Ellie be children.  To guide them along as they learn at their own pace.  To have lots of time to play and pretend and create and invent and try new things.  I am so grateful that neither girl will have to be worried or stressed about taking tests that are really very meaningless - tests that are testing for ridiculous things that don't really show what the child does know! Can you believe that in Kindergarten there are NO TOYS IN THE CLASSROOM? And in the full day of school, they only get 20 minutes to eat AND play?  And then they come home with homework? After 8 hours away from home?  How can this be good for these little ones?  I am so thankful that Lia and Ellie will have lots of time to play.  I love that both girls are spending time each day, in Bible study.  And I am thankful that when they have questions, it will be Gwen or Tim that is answering them.  One of the neatest things about this home school experience is all of the practical stuff that they are learning.  There was never time enough in a day with school, and then hours of homework to learn fun things like baking!  Lia has already mastered the 7-up Cake!
It is sad, sad, sad to look at the public school system and see just how bad things have gotten.  It makes that image with those children in Africa not so funny!  

So, as the new school year begins in communities around the country, I will be praying for all of the children and the teachers.  I will also be praying that those in the government who are responsible for "Common Core" would listen to the wisdom and logic of the educators who are having to watch the deterioration of our educational system.  I will also be praying for all of those moms and dads who have made the sacrificial decision to home school their children.  Join me in praying for all the children!

Jesus, thank you for my dad and all that he sowed into our family. Thank you for the dad's today who are involved and interested in raising their children.  Holy Spirit give grace and peace and wisdom to all of the teachers in our schools.  Jesus give all in authority the ability to see our children with your eyes. Thank you for parents who nurture and teach their children at home.  Jesus, help all of us - even when we are older - to feel responsibility for the care and education of children.  Thank you Jesus for loving the little children and calling them to yourself and blessing them.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment