Saturday, March 8, 2014

Birthday from the past....filled with gratitude

Today we celebrated Ellie's 5th birthday.  She had a wonderful party at a gymnastics and jump place with all of her friends.   It was so fun watching all of the kids running through the activities.  Zeke was certainly the most brave of all of the kids.  Even though he is only 2 years old, he climbed on the rope and swung out over the pit of foam blocks and let go!  Neither Lia or Ellie would do this!  Zeke is most assuredly all boy.  When I watched Ellie blow our her candles, I couldn't help but flash back to the day in this picture.  Because Doug and Ellie share a birthday, I suppose that is why I was thinking about this picture from Doug's 5th birthday in 1987.  (Yep, that's right, my "baby" is 32!)
If you look at the picture you will notice that Doug is in a hospital bed.  In fact, this was the last time that he was ever hospitalized.  In addition to his "normal" urinary problems, he had a severe case of scarlet fever.  During this hospital stay they "desensitized" him to a brand new medicine by giving him very small amounts gradually through his IV.  This long process, along with this "formulary" drug (which Doug took for the next 18 months) played a part in Doug's road to health.  Doug claims to not have any memory of this day, but Gwen remembers it well.  For me, the memory of this day is mostly that it was his LAST hospital stay! 

I am feeling so thankful tonight.  I know that Jesus is the one that brought Doug to total health.  While the medicine played a part in the process, it was ultimately Jesus that protected and worked in Doug.  When I look at my children and grandchildren, I am filled with gratitude.   What a blessing it is to see our kids and grand kids walking out their destiny.  As I have been doing this blog, I have looked at my ancestors.  I have seen how their prayers, their choices and their faith have impacted my life.  And today I was thinking about my future generations.  It is a privilege to know that my prayers can have an effect in the future.  What a powerful reminder to speak life into our family - present and future.  

Jesus, thank you for birthday celebrations, for good health, for family and friends.  Thank you for working in our generations.   Bless Ellie and Doug as they begin another new year of life.   Let them both draw closer to you in the next year.  Thank you for my past generations that sowed seeds of faith and life.  Bless my children, grandchildren and all my future generations with your presence and your peace.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment