Sunday, March 30, 2014

Love finding an old picture and getting some clarity on the present!

Recently Gwen pulled out a large ziplock bag of pictures that she had gotten from my mom in 2010.   I sorted through and took some of the ones that I knew I did not have.  This is one of those pictures.   Ken and I (holding Sheba) and my mom and dad.  This was taken sometime in the summer of 1978.  I assume it was around the time that my mom and dad stayed with us after their house in Elk Grove sold and before my dad's actual retirement date.  It was a wonderful couple of weeks with them.  My dad really loved Sheba.  I was glad to have them staying in our new house.  We had just moved in a few months before and I loved having my mom help me decorate!   The only odd thing about this time was that I was SOOOOOOO tired.  I couldn't figure out why I was coming home from work and falling asleep on the couch! I so wanted to enjoy the time with them before they moved to Minnesota. So a few weeks later, when I called my mom and dad to share some big news, my mom was not the least bit surprised.  She knew I was pregnant before I did!  Aren't mom's wonderful? 

When I look at this picture, I remember how much I missed my parents after their move.   I didn't really expect to feel so alone when they left.   But suddenly, I was far away from all my family.  And to add to it, I was expecting my first baby.   I really wanted my mom!  It didn't help to complain to my sisters.  Neither of them had mom close by when they had their babies.  As a matter of fact, my sister Julie had her first baby just after we left Minnesota and moved to Illinois.   My sister Karen had lived in South Dakota when her first was born and we lived in Minnesota.  So I decided I couldn't really complain about this.   But, none the less, I missed her very much.   And to top it off, my dad was very sick and hospitalized when Gwen was born.  So I couldn't even talk to her on the phone!   And they didn't get to come and see Gwen until she was about 7 weeks old.   I know that this is part of the reason why I am so grateful to have been with Gwen during the birth of all 4 of her children.  And why I feel so blessed to be able to spend one day a week with Gwen and those sweet grandchildren.  

It's good to think about these things.   First of all, it helps to put into perspective events from your past.  And then, it helps to clarify and give meaning to how things are currently.   I love that one picture can help me to understand more clearly why I can't imagine moving away from Gwen and Doug right now (or anytime in the near future! - Sorry Ken).  I am going to really enjoy all the time that I have with my kids and grandkids and take lots of pictures.  That way I'll have lots of reminders in the future!

Jesus, thank you for my family.  Holy Spirit, it is such a gift to realize how much you have guided and directed my life.  Thank you for pictures and memories.   Jesus, thank you for the chance to change our present in ways that effect the future.   Amen   

No comments:

Post a Comment