Sunday, March 2, 2014

Just a pair of boots............

Yep, this is just a pair of boots.  My boots.  Way back in 2009, after I had just taken a job as a full time nanny, I bought these boots.  My thoughts were that I should have boots if I needed to be outside with the children.  Prior to these boots, I don't remember the last pair of boots that I had.  Well, I never wore these boots during the 4 years that I worked as a nanny.  Then came this year!   I am not sure how many times I have had these boots on this year, but I know that it is way more than I wanted!

When I pulled these boots out of the closet in early December, they were like brand new.  That is because they might as well have been new, since I never wore them.  I was so thankful that I had these boots at the back of my closet.  Since that first early snowfall, they have kept my feet warm and dry through this really horrible winter.  Here it is, the beginning of March, and I put these trusty boots on this morning to help Ken snow blow the  6" of snow we got overnight.  Enough is Enough!!!! 

I was thinking about these boots.  They have just sat, unused for 4 years.  But then they became very, very important.  In a way, these were like an "insurance policy".  The boots were for "just in case" I needed them.  For some people, their faith is that kind of thing.....kept hidden away, in the back of their life, like an insurance policy, just in case they ever have a crisis and need it.   I remember when I had that kind of faith.   I am so thankful that I have grown and learned how to better LIVE my faith.  To take it out of the closet, actually put it to use, and even see it grow and gain strength. 

Yesterday it was such a treat for Ken and I to have some "one on one" time with Ellie.  She asked to ride with us from the church back to their house after Anna's baptism.  She talked for the entire trip!  Most of the conversation had to do with her upcoming birthday.  Next week she will be 5 years old.  Then the conversation turned to her favorite books and what her daddy read to her each night.  She told me that the Bible was her favorite book.  And when I asked her what story about Jesus was her favorite, she said "Jesus said let the little children come to me".  I asked her why that was her favorite.  She thought a moment and then said, "well its just not the adults and Jesus".   I loved that response.  She already "gets it"!  Jesus is for everyone - even the kids!   What a joy it is to see Ellie and Lia and Zeke (and someday Anna) growing up with their faith, OUT of the closet.  It is a reminder to me, to be willing to show my faith.  To put it to use.  Most importantly, to remember that growing my relationship with Jesus is the key. 

Jesus, thank you for speaking so clearly to me through Ellie and my boots.  Holy Spirit thank you for reminding me how important it is to show my faith.   Give us all courage and boldness to live our faith every day.  Thank you for Ellie and her trust in you.  Continue to give all parents wisdom and knowledge as they seek to raise their children to know and love Jesus.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment