Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Sometimes you just need a friend............

These two furry cuties are Ruby and Chandler.  Chandler belongs to Gwen's family.  For the last couple of weeks, Ruby (who belongs to friends of Gwen's family) has been "visiting" while her family vacationed.  Now Ruby is an older dog.  I appreciate that she doesn't have quite as much "spunk" as Chandler - let's face it, I can relate!  And Chandler, while not a puppy, is still a bit of an active adult.  Ruby mostly just slept in her kennel.  The door was never closed, but she seemed happy in the security of her kennel.  Chandler seemed to just ignore Ruby.  But that was LAST week.  After more days at Gwen's, Ruby was warming up.  Or possibly thought this was her new home.  But either way, she was much more active.  She wandered in the kitchen.  She stuck her nose out the door when I was letting Chandler outside.  She tried to get some food from Anna's highchair.  All very normal "doggy" stuff.  And then, after lunch, I let Chandler outside.  When he came back inside, poor Ruby (who was minding her own business in the middle of the floor) didn't know what to do with him!  Chandler wanted to play and tried to engage Ruby in every way he could think of.
You can see in this picture that Chandler's tail is wagging like crazy and you can also see the look on Ruby's face!   I love this picture.  Ruby is just not having any of Chandler's prodding.  And you gotta love that Ruby never got angry with Chandler.  I finally sent Chandler to the couch to spare poor Ruby!  I actually believe that I heard Chandler sigh as he walked away.  He really just wanted a friend to play with him!

Don't we all have those times when we would just love to have a friend around?  I can sure relate to this.  I am so blessed to have many good friends who are just a phone call away.  Sometimes it is enough to engage in a long phone conversation.  Sometimes you need a meet up at a local coffee shop for a beverage and a chat.  Sometimes you might need a good night out to really catch up. Over the last few months, even the text messages and voice mails have been so important to me.  Yes, I depend on my friends for support and comfort and wisdom and so much more.  

One of the first hymns that I ever learned and for many years, I called it my "favorite Hymn", is "What A Friend We Have in Jesus".   It was also one of my mom's favorites.  And on mother's day, my niece mentioned that she could hear her mom (my sister) singing that hymn!  So, yes this song is a family favorite.  Here are the lyrics to this old favorite................

What a friend we have in Jesus, 
all our sins and griefs to bear! 
What a privilege to carry 
everything to God in prayer! 

O what peace we often forfeit, 
O what needless pain we bear, 
all because we do not carry 
everything to God in prayer. 

 Have we trials and temptations? 
Is there trouble anywhere? 
We should never be discouraged; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 
Can we find a friend so faithful 
who will all our sorrows share? 
Jesus knows our every weakness; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 

 Are we weak and heavy laden, 
cumbered with a load of care? 
Precious Savior, still our refuge; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? 
Take it to the Lord in prayer! 
In his arms he'll take and shield thee; 
thou wilt find a solace there.

Yes, I am so thankful for this special friend - Jesus!  I need this friend everyday. And He is always with me.  And the really amazing thing is that each of my friends brings more of Jesus to me.  Yes, I am blessed that my friends also have Jesus as their friend.  There is such a multiplication of the presence of Jesus, when 2 or 3 are together!  
"Where two or three gather in my name, there I am with them!"  Matthew 18:20

I am so thankful for Ruby and Chandler and this reminder. Yes, sometimes you just need a friend.....or two...or more.  And I always need Jesus!  

Jesus, thank you for your presence with us and in us that we can share with others.  Holy Spirit, continue to remind us how very present Jesus is with us.  Thank you for pets and the joy that they bring to families.  And Jesus, thank you for friends.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment