Thursday, May 15, 2014

Happy Birthday Zeke and why I am planning more Bible reading!

Today is a Happy Birthday to my sweet little Zeke!  He is three years old today!  I love this picture of him, with his Thomas the Tank Engine shirt.  This little guy is crazy for trains.  If you are driving in the car with him, and he sees railroad tracks, he demands that you find the train!  He doesn't get the fact that you can't just make trains appear.  And it is a very good day for Zeke if you happen to have more than one train pass by on the way to school.   It is no surprise that his Birthday Party on Saturday will feature a "Thomas" theme.  Zeke's birth was a special day for us. My mom died in April of 2011 and on May 15, 2011, what would have been my mom's 96th birthday, Zeke was born.  Both Gwen and I feel that this connection to my mom is very special.  Zeke will always share a birthday with his Great Grandma Nona.  Even if he never got to meet her, she will always be a part of his life.  Lia and Ellie will help him know all about her.   Just this week, Ellie told me that they had been looking at "Great Grandma Nona's book" (A special scrapbook that Gwen made for the kids) with their babysitter.   Zeke has a smile that will melt your heart.  There is something so deep and endearing about him.  Everyone loves Zeke.  He is a BIG boy for his age, but so gentle and caring.  Several of the little girls in his preschool class claim him as their boy friend.   I can't wait to see what is ahead for this boy! 

On another exciting front, I received my new (renewed) passport today in the mail!  I have blogged about the very discouraging process (which, by the way, was 6 weeks ago) and the "average" time to receive your renewal is 3 to 4 weeks.  So, I am not sure WHY it has taken so long.  I am just very grateful to now have my passport.  HOWEVER, it will not do me any good if Ken's doesn't arrive in the next few days!  Our vacation is planned for a couple of weeks from now, and our plans will need to change it his doesn't arrive!   So, prayers appreciated for the arrival of Ken's passport!

Okay, moving on...............   This week Gwen and I have been talking about some really interesting Biblical things.  Specifically Nephilim.  Now I happened to mention something about Genesis 6, in passing, and Gwen thought I was kidding!  I was surprised that she had never heard of the Nephilim. And quite honestly, it DOES sound a bit like something that would not be in the Bible.  While the topic is interesting, the reason I am mentioning it in this blog, is the effect this discussion had!   Isn't it just like the Holy Spirit to use something as simple as a passing comment to spark a week of discussions?  I have had a couple of conversations about this. And Gwen talked to her Bible Study group about it.  And here it is, showing up in my blog.   For me, the entire topic of the Nephilim just affirms that nothing is outside of God's sphere.  It also reminds me that there is a whole lot in the Bible that is easy to overlook.  What a great reminder that we should all be spending more time in the Bible.  Just reading the Bible really isn't enough.  As Gwen told me, she has read Genesis 6 many, many times.  But somehow she just missed the Nephilim.  I am so thankful that we can trust that the Holy Spirit will help us to see and understand Scripture - even if it is long after we actually have read it.   And the good news is that we can ask the Holy Spirit to bring clarity to us, as we spend time reading the Bible.   What a great reminder.  

Jesus, thank you for Zeke and the wonder and joy that a three year brings to every day!  Thank you for reminding me of my mom and the chance to celebrate her life.  Holy Spirit, thank you for using a passing comment to fuel a weeks worth of interesting discussions.  Thank you, even more, for  reminding me to read and study the Bible.  Jesus, thank you for Gwen and wonderful discussions.  Amen
  

No comments:

Post a Comment