Saturday, May 3, 2014

Long time friends, baby shower and Baptism birthdays.......

Today I was driving on a road quite close to my house, when I saw something really unexpected.  It was an object on TOP of a car......it was a DOG SLED!  You know, the kind of thing that they use in the Iditarod? What were they doing with a dog sled, in Illinois, IN MAY?  I confess that I had a moment of contemplating if there was snow in our forecast.  I mean, it is Illinois and it has been in the 30's.  And it IS May.  Yes, it was very unexpected.  And in the last couple of days I have been looking for those unexpected things.  I'll let you know if I figure out any hidden meaning in this dog sled sighting!  (Possibly it goes along with my message from "Paddlefoot?)
 
Today was one of those really great, exciting days.   I had the wonderful pleasure of attending a baby shower for Gwen's best friend since 6th grade, Brenda.   It was certainly a time of celebrating and also a bit of remembering.  I calculated that Gwen and Brenda have been friends for 24 years.  WOW does that ever make me feel old!  I spent part of the day holding my sweet little Anna, and it was so wonderful contemplating all the fun Anna and this expected baby boy will have at future parties.  It is so good to gather together with friends and family and mark these important events.
 

It was also an important day for Ellie!  It is her "Baptism Birthday"!  Five years ago she was welcomed into the Covenant of God's family and sealed with the cross of Christ. 
 I love looking at these picture of Ellie's Baptism day.   She wore Gwen's Baptism dress and was so cute!  While I was going through the photo file, I discovered this photo......
This is Brenda holding Ellie, and her husband Rick, five years ago.  Today we celebrated their coming baby.   I can't help but think how wonderful this is!  I love that Anna and their baby will be only months apart.  There is something so powerful in seeing your kids and their friends, grow up and have their own kids.  Brenda spent so much time with Gwen that she really seems like part of our family.  I confess, it made me quite teary.  I can't wait to meet this new little one.
 
I am so thankful that Gwen and Tim have made it a priority to remember and celebrate the Baptism birthdays of their kids.  It is a time when the kids talk about what Baptism is all about.  They light their candle and remember that Jesus is the light of the world.   It is a special day for them.  Wouldn't we all benefit if we added in this extra special day of celebrating by remembering our Baptism birthday?  I plan to celebrate my special day this year....on November 7th.  I want to encourage you to find your own Baptism birth date and make it a priority this year.  Celebrate this very important day in your life.  Celebrate with family and friends..... and cake! 
 
Jesus, thank you for old friends and new life.  Thank you for the new life that we have in you.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your working in Baptism.  Jesus, bless Brenda and Rick and their baby.  Bring your peace and presence during these final weeks before the birth.  Thank you, Jesus, for Ellie and all that you are doing in and through her.  Help us all to remember and celebrate our Baptism Birthdays with joy.   Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment