Sunday, May 11, 2014

Thinking about being a mom.....and more from last week!

I chose this picture today (of my mom with Doug and Gwen at Gwen's high school graduation), because it represents a bit of what "MOM" means to me.   I love this picture!  Please stay with me and read to the end, and you see how this picture fits!

I promised to share a bit more about last Sunday evening.  And, as it turns out, things from my Friday and Saturday evenings as well!  You know when you hear something and it just resonates in your spirit?  Well a couple of weeks ago, Gwen and I were talking about an upcoming event, when she was to be speaking to the youth at her church.  The topic was the time following the resurrection and Jesus' appearances to the disciples.   Gwen had chosen to speak on this topic last year when the leaders were planning the years event.  So, even though it was her birthday, she shared her heart on this topic.  She spoke on 5 things we can learn about Jesus through these stories and 5 things we can learn about ourselves.  If you want to hear her entire message just click here The Lost 40 (part 2).   That Jesus loves to eat is on her list! Last Sunday evening, I was at the HUB meeting.  I have shared a couple of blogs about this meeting.  One of the topics discussed was that heaven will be a celebration and Jesus likes to eat! (This is the same message that Gwen spoke!).  Then on Friday evening, I was at another HUB meeting with Mahesh Chavda and he spoke the exact same message!  We sang a song about a "Holy Ghost party" that included that heaven is a party and we celebrate!  Then yesterday there was an Elijah list post Al Thomas: Life with Jesus is a feast.  So it would seem that this is the "NOW" word!  What a blessing that many people are hearing the same message from Jesus and sharing it with us all.

I love that I can learn from my kids.  And hear the voice of the Lord through their thoughts and words.  My mom always told me that it blessed her so much to hear me share my thoughts and ideas and she told me how much she had learned from me.  I know that most times we focus on what we are teaching our children.  Today, for me, I am focusing on what my children are teaching me!  So here goes.....

1.  Do what your heart says, not what the world says.  Gwen has advanced degrees in music and could be teaching or performing, but her heart says, teach preschool.  She loves those kids and they love her.  She is a great teacher.  Doug made a choice not to attend college.  His heart told him that he did not want to sit in an office all day.  Today he has a great job doing exactly what he loves.  And it does not involve sitting at a desk!

2.  Breath the fresh air outside.  All Gwen wanted from her family on her birthday, was a quiet hike by a lake.  That was refreshment for her.  Doug and Susie spend more time camping and outdoors than anyone I know.  Doug often goes fishing on Fridays (Note: his ideal job is 4 days a week! Isn't he blessed?).  Don't really know how this happened, but my kids love nature. 

3.  Make it a priority to stick together.  I love that our kids want to be together.  They MAKE time for family and pay attention to each other.  It is so easy to drift apart.  To not stay close.  Don't let busyness, friends and other commitments come between you.  Hold fast to family.

4.  Be givers of yourself.  My kids are always doing for others.   They are serving in their churches, they are helping out friends, they are making meals for someone,  they are fixing someone's attic, they are climbing on a roof,   really the list could go on and on.  I have stepped back and thought about where I was at their particular stage of life, and I know I wasn't this willing to give.  I love that my grandchildren (and future grandchildren) will be raised in a culture of others first! 

5.  Prayer matters.  If I ever have a prayer need, I know that I can count on my kids to be praying.  And the best thing is that they have surrounded themselves with other people who also pray!  Again, I was much older before I understood how important a tight group of friends can be.   I am so thankful for the people in my kids lives! 

I know that there is much more that I could add to this list.  But I will stop here.  I need to reflect, myself, on each of these things, in the weeks ahead.  I am so blessed to be mom to these amazing kids.   I am missing my mom today.  And I am sure that there are many others in my shoes.  But then I just remember that Jesus loves to eat and there is a banquet table filled with food and a BIG Holy Ghost party going on in heaven.  And mom is there with her mom and her sisters and my sister Karen.  And they are having a wonderful time with Jesus!

Jesus, thank you for my mom and my children.   Holy Spirit, you are speaking to us through many prophetic voices.  Help us to listen carefully and prayerfully for your voice in their words.  Thank you for confirmations and affirmations.  Jesus thank you for leaving us evidence of your love of eating!  Thank you for that celebration going on in heaven.   Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment