Monday, May 12, 2014

Thought for the day..."What is a church?"

After the last couple of weeks attending various events, (none of which were actually held in a "church" building)  I have been considering...... "What is a church?"  The last 14 or so days have been filled with some of the most wonderful worship times and incredible teachings.  And then there is that incredible experience of the presence of Jesus.  Now I am not saying that you CAN'T have all of this IN a traditional church.  What struck me was that you CAN have all of this without the building.  

These two pictures are 10 years old.  I took them in Kenya and Uganda in 2004.  As you can see, while there were "buildings", these buildings were not exactly what we think of a "church". As a matter of fact, there were several services that were entirely outside, with NO building.   But I can assure you, there was worship and teaching and the presence of Jesus.   In the last couple of weeks, I have been at "church" in a basement meeting room of a large conference center, in a large ballroom of a conference center, and in a living room of a home. 
 
In each of these events, the common denominator between all of the people in attendance was the cross.  It did not matter what denomination you were.  How or when you baptize, or what you think about the book of Revelation.  All that matters is the cross of Jesus.  It is so good to be in a place of unity with your brothers and sisters in Christ. 
 

I know that this is not a new thought.  Lots of people have contemplated this, talked about it, spoken about this, wrote about this.   That is why I almost didn't share this thought today.   But, you see, I have been so blessed in these very non "church" church services.  And I believe that part of the reason is because these events happened.........outside of the ordinary.  

So I am thankful tonight that my definition of "Church" does not include a building.  It includes people.  Lots of wonderful, loving people.  Some of the people don't really know me at all.  To some I am just a face in a crowd.  To others, I am known.  With all of my faults and troubles and prayer needs.  AND with all of my gifts.  When I sit with these people, and share a meal with them, or worship with them, learn and grow with them, I am loved.  I feel that love of Jesus flowing through them into me.  And it is awesome!  

My encouragement to you tonight is to consider expanding your idea of church.  Think "outside of the box" (or the walls).  Find an event that is different than anything you might have previously considered attending.  Look for a meeting or conference or group in your area that includes people from many different churches.  Or better yet, form one of your own.  My home group is a life saver for me.  I know that I can count on their prayers.  And these meetings and conferences are life giving for me.  Take a risk.  Step out of your normal routine.  Go and be blessed.

Jesus, thank you so much for reminding me that YOU are the only thing that matters.   Holy Spirit, give us all courage and boldness to go outside of our "normal".  Help us to seek and find those places where you are.  Draw us to those like-minded people, with whom we can share and grow.  Keep us open and free to learn and grow!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment