Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The carrot, the egg and the coffee bean....

If I have learned one thing on this vacation it is to breath in during the horrible storms we have been driving through.  Ken and I were remembering one amazing vacation several years ago, when we drove over 3800 miles and never had one drop of rain!  This trip has not been like that.  We have had rain, RAIN AND MORE RAIN!  And of course, the worst storms always seem to happen in the cities with the most traffic!  Today I remembered to breath.  I remembered to pray.  I remembered to ask others to pray.  And then I picked up my phone and started looking at Facebook!  Isn't that a good way to take your mind off of the wind and the rain and the lightening?  Which brings me to the title of this post.   I saw a little story that has been on my mind the rest of the day.

The story compared hard and difficult times to a pot of boiling water.  The water doesn't change.  Just like our circumstances sometimes don't change.  So the question is...............  when you are in that pot of boiling water, are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?   The carrot starts off hard and solid.  But when dropped into that boiling water, it become soft and squishy.  It really doesn't hold up.  The egg has a hard exterior. It seems like it will be fine, but under those hot and boiling circumstances, the inside become hard. The coffee bean doesn't seem to change.  BUT the water changes.  Instead of being effected by the boiling water..... it changes the environment! 

I want to be a coffee bean!  How about you?  I want to stay solid and firm.  I don't want to get soft and mushy like that carrot.  And I know that I don't want to harden my heart like that egg.  And the coffee bean doesn't just change the water.... it releases a wonderful aroma that draws people in.   Once again I am in awe of Yahweh's plan for us.  He designed us to be able to not only get through difficult times, but we can actually change things in the midst of troubles and storms.  AND we can release a wonderful aroma of joy and peace at the same time.   The best part about this is that the coffee bean doesn't have to DO ANYTHING!!!!!  It just is!!!   It just gets thrown into that hot water and then just has to BE! 

So, I am going to think of myself as a coffee bean!  I will remember that I don't have to DO anything at all.  Those tough and difficult situations will happen, but in the midst of them, it is Yahweh's plan to release HIS presence and power that changes things.  And it is His aroma that swirls out as joy, and peace and love.  What a relief! 

Thanks to the person that posted that wonderful story.  It has given me much to think and meditate about.  The story helped me to relax and travel through the storm as we drove.  I love little things that help me to hold on to these concepts.  Today it is a coffee bean!

Yahweh, what a wonderful, loving, amazing God you are.  I am in awe of your plans and your purposes.  You reign over the heavens and over the earth.  You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Thank you for showing me your plan in the little things.  Thank you for the coffee bean! (And the coffee!).   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment