Monday, July 1, 2013

Living in the Sandwich

I know this is a funny title for this post.....  But today was one of those times when you realize your "place" in your family.  I experienced being in the sandwich today.  For the better part of the day, I visited with my 93 year old father-in-law.  He is a wealth of information on many different subjects, after years as an accomplished mechanical engineer with a metallurgist masters degree.  He traveled the world and speaks several languages.  Today, however, we had a wonderful private talk about God.  It was so refreshing to hear him express a true belief in Jesus and the gospel message. And I got to share with him, a bit about my experiences with Yahweh.  This time spent with him, made this trip so worth it!  Shortly after our talk I saw that my daughter posted an ultrasound picture and announcement of my 4th grandchild - expected in February, 2014.  And I was hit by the reality of being "in the sandwich".  Here I am with an elderly parent and an expected grandchild.  Sandwiched between the generations.  But also feeling the generational shift to the far side of that sandwich, since my own parents are no longer living.  I've moved from the meat to the bread side!

Merv (my father-in-law) is a scientist and he sees no conflict between science and faith.  It was interesting to listen to his perspective on God.  He described the assurance he felt in the Creator by the scientific fact of the placement of the earth at exactly the correct orbit to sustain life.  As he said, "Only God could have planned that!". 

My encouragement to anyone and everyone out there reading this blog, is to seek out your family. Find those times of conversation to discuss what is REALLY important.  Don't waste time on only the trivial things.  I don't mean with just the oldest in your family.  Yes, it is important to hear from their wisdom and experience.  But don't forget the children.  Ask, and listen.   And remember also those in your own generation.  Be truth tellers.  Be reflectors of all that Yahweh has placed in you.  Be lovers and givers. Be receivers! 

Tonight, I am so thankful that Yahweh planned for today to happen!  That he gave me the opportunity to talk one on one with Merv.  To hear his heart and feel the love of Jesus in the room. What an amazing God!  Praise Him!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment