Monday, October 13, 2014

Growing in admiration for both my mother AND my daughter!

Okay, so this picture may seem a bit out of place today.  But you will understand better why I selected this picture as you keep reading.   First of all, this picture is from 1980 November when Gwen was 18 months old.  I had taken her to Minnesota to visit my mom and dad.  I love this picture of the three of them.  It is one of my favorites.

So, as you know from my last blog, I spent the weekend at Gwen and Tim's watching their four children.  I had a really wonderful time being with them and got to have some time with each one.  They are really great kids and I had no issues at all over the two days and nights that I spent with them.  They cooperated, slept well, ate well and played hard!  But just let me add, I AM TIRED!  I slept about the same amount as I usually do (with maybe a couple of added interruptions), and we didn't leave the house at all (except to walk to the park), so I am at a loss as to why I am feeling this way!  Except to say that taking care of four children is hard work!  It is hard work at any age, but at 60 - yes it is tiring.

Last night Anna woke up at an unusual time and seemed hungry.  So I gave her a bottle.  For the next 40 minutes I listened to her "playing" in her crib.  She was not crying, she was just "talking".  I don't know exactly what she was looking at (it was dark in her room) or playing with (she had nothing in her crib except her pacifier) but she was just happily vocalizing from her crib.  She eventually went to sleep.  But during that time that I was listening to her, I got to thinking about my mom and dad.  There was a particular event/time that my mom always talked about as being very challenging but also very rewarding for her.  My sister needed to go to Mayo Clinic for some life saving surgery and she lived in Montana at the time.  My parents lived in the Minneapolis area. Unfortunately, my sister's then husband did not make very wise choices and he did not want to take care of their children during this surgery.  My sister's children were ages 9, 7, not yet 3, and just turned 1.  So my mom and dad brought my sister to their home, took her to Rochester for the surgery, and then cared for her four daughters during her hospitalization and recovery.  I was thinking about how much stress that was for all of them - my sister and my parents.  First for my sister......wow!  You are experiencing your own trauma but then you have the worry of your children.  For my parents, not only did they have the concern for their daughter but they had the care of these kids.  But here is what my mom would always say about this time taking care of Elise, Chris, Sara and Staci.  I remember her sort of telling a story on herself about her experience with disposable diapers.  She really had never used them and couldn't figure out how they worked. (This was in 1978 so disposables were quite new!). And having two in diapers was not something that my mom had ever done. The main thing she always talked about from this event was how my dad really stepped up to the plate.  I really think this might have been one of the first times that he was around with little kids.  During all the years that we were growing up, he traveled for his job and was not home much.  We were all spaced far apart and my mom and dad never really had two babies in the house at the same time! At the time of my sister's surgery, my dad had just retired and they had relocated into a smaller house in Minnesota.  Mom told how Dad had fashioned gates for the stairs on the first day that they had the kids.  Dad also took the older two girls under his wing and often took them shopping for groceries or out on errands.  And he would always get them special treats.   I am sure that this time was stressful for them and I know that they must have been tired.  But when my mom talked about this time, she always had a smile on her face.  My sister did well during her surgery and recovery and my parents were thankful that they were able to be there and help her during this crisis.  I think that my sister and her kids spent a couple of months with my parents.  This memory did cause me to admire my parents and see them in a different way than I had before.  They really rose to the occasion and managed very well.

Yes, I was feeling very thankful that it was not an "emergency" that brought me to Gwen's house.  It was a chance for Gwen and Tim to minister and share their gifts and talents with youth from their church.  And it was not a couple of months, it was a couple of days.   But Gwen and Tim do this "parenting of four small children" EVERYDAY!   Yes, it does increase your understanding when you "do" their life for a couple of days.  When Gwen says she is tired, SHE IS TIRED!  When they say they are busy, THEY ARE BUSY!  But I know that they are also filled with the love and joy from those precious children.  There are hugs, kisses and more hugs through out the day.  Zeke likes to do "cannonball" hugs (where he runs across the room and throws himself at you!) And he is not a little boy!  I just loved  hearing  "Grandma Lyn, come here!" When I answered his call, Zeke said "Grandma Lyn, I love you, have good sleep!"  God knew what he was doing when he gives babies to those who are younger and stronger.  And I admire Gwen and Tim for parenting their children with love and most importantly, with Jesus.

Last night, as I watched Lia, Ellie and Zeke in the "big bath tub" splashing around in mounds of bubbles, I couldn't have been happier.  Anna was already sleeping in her crib and we were all laughing at the soap bubble fun.  It was one of those times that I didn't think to get out my camera.  But I have those memories stored up and I won't forget this.  I felt bathed in the warmth and love of these children.   And I am blessed.

Isn't it interesting how Jesus helps us appreciate where we are in our own life through memories and thoughts of other generations?  I love that I can see my mom and dad in a new light, after caring for my own grandchildren.  And I can reflect on the times I had with my own children as I watch them with their children.  Can't we all look back on memories of our family - both good and bad memories - and grow in understanding as we see these events through different eyes.   I am so thankful that this memory of my mom and dad was "re-framed" by my own experiences this weekend.

Jesus, thank you for connecting me once again to both my mother and my daughter through this memory.  Thank you for times in the night to pray and listen to your voice.  Thank you for laughter and hugs and kisses.  Thank you for family and connections between the generations.  And thank you for a warm, comfy bed!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment