Friday, October 10, 2014

Not the day I had planned.....

I had lots of different errands to run today and some things that I really wanted to accomplish. I had made plans to have lunch with my son and daughter-in-law and was so looking forward to this day.  But somewhere around 8:30am I was on the phone with Gwen.  I began to experience some bizarre and simply terrifying visual disturbances.  All I can tell you is that I was "seeing" a bunch of black dots and zig zag lines across my eyes that were continually changing and moving.  It was so frightening.  I immediately called Ken to come home so that he could take me to the doctor.  Poor Gwen!  She was really afraid that I might be having a stoke!  Before Ken got home, I had called my eye doctor and they were prepared to see me as soon as I could get there.  Thankfully, by the time Ken got home, my vision had cleared.  I think it lasted for around 20 minutes.  My eye doctor did a very detailed exam of my eyes and told me that he was sure that what I had experienced was an "ocular migraine".  I thought this was very weird since I did not have a headache or any other symptoms.  Apparently these are not all  that uncommon and some people have these events only one time and some people have them more often.  They are unsure what causes them and there is nothing that you can do to prevent them or when they are happening.  So, yes, I was breathing out.

On the way to the eye doctor, I was trying to relax and just trust that Jesus would give me an answer about this event.  I suddenly remembered that several weeks ago, while I was at a worship service where healings were taking place, I had heard that I should get prayers for my eyes.  The funny thing was, I really didn't have any reason for this prayer.  I had an eye appointment for my yearly exam during the following week, but I had not been having any issues with my eyes.  I thought it was really odd.  I decided that I needed to pray for my spiritual eyes to be opened and to see with greater clarity all that Jesus had for me.  I ended up leaving that meeting never getting any prayer.  It was very late and there were so many people waiting for prayer, so I opted to leave.  Today I wondered if this was the reason for that nudge of the Holy Spirit, encouraging me to pray and get prayer for my eyes!

After the eye doctor, Ken decided to stay home for the rest of the day, We ended up both going out to lunch with our son and daughter-in-law which was wonderful.  There were several little jobs that Ken needed to do for our home improvement projects going on.  I spent some time just relaxing.  While I was thinking about the day, I was filled with thankfulness.   And I prayed that Jesus would touch my eyes - physical and spiritual - so that His will would be done through me.  Tonight I am just so thankful for SIGHT!

Wow...this was not the day I had planned.  But tonight I am so thankful for Ken and his care and concern for me.  And I am thankful for Gwen and Doug and their families.  I am very blessed to have a wonderful eye doctor who fit me in and then spent time explaining to me what this odd occurrence was and assuring me that I was really going to be okay. And I am so, so thankful that I was reminded that the Holy Spirit will nudge me when there is something that I need to be praying about.

I am encouraging all of you reading this, to be sensitive to that little whisper from the Holy Spirit.  And I am speaking to myself also.  We just need to be quiet and listen.  And we need to DO!  If we hear, PRAY, then we need to pray.  If someone's face comes to our mind, we need to CALL (and pray).  If there is a cause or topic that keeps coming to our minds, we need to listen to that whisper and than follow through with action.   I will be reminding myself of this daily!

Jesus, thank you for your care and concern for every little detail in our life.  Thank you for family that stands with us.  Thank you for doctors and tests and all the things that we sometimes take for granted in our medical world today.  Thank you for being THE healer.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment