Saturday, April 19, 2014

Remembering my dad on this Resurrection Eve

Twenty nine years ago, April 19th was after Easter.  I remember it well.  On Easter Sunday (which was April 7) my dad had a stroke and ended up in ICU.  My mom called me very early to tell me that they had rushed him to the hospital during the night.   I remember that I shared it with the Pastor and asked him to pray.   1985 had been a challenging year for us.   Doug had been in the hospital most of January and February, culminating with having his kidney removed.  Just after recovering from that surgery, he caught chicken pox (from Gwen).  I had missed lots of work and now I needed to go to Minnesota to see my dad.   So, I planned a last minute weekend trip, by myself, flying up to be with my mom and visit my dad.  During all the three years of my dads illness and dialysis, my mom never expected me to come and visit.  It was the same time that Doug was so sick and she knew that I couldn't leave him.  So, when she said that I needed to come, I knew I needed to go.   I left two unhappy, sick (scratchy) kids with Ken and made the trip.  I am glad that I did.  I visited on the 13th and 14th and flew home on the 15th.  My dad died on April 19.  My dad had not really responded to anyone much at all, yet when I talked to him, he immediately asked about Ken and the kids.  Everyone in the room was so surprised.   Later the doctor asked him if he wanted to stop his dialysis and he shook his head no.  But later that day they were unable to do the dialysis since his blood pressure kept dropping.  Even though his will to live was so strong, his body had just had enough.  

The picture above is from December of 1981, when I was pregnant with Doug.  My dad just loved Gwen.  He couldn't get over how verbal she was.  She was quite the talker and she loved to talk with her grandpa.  He loved to talk with her.  My dad, however,  was not very talkative about his faith, but I know that he believed in Jesus.   In the last years of his life, my parents were blessed with one of those special, amazing Pastors that really make a difference.   Pastor Bode drew my dad out and for the first time in his adult life, dad joined a Bible study.   Pastor Bode visited my dad almost daily in the hospital and was so supportive of my mom.  During his last visit with my dad, he read Psalm 121, my dad's very favorite Psalm.  And he reminded everyone at my dad's funeral, that we would see him again, and that he was celebrating with Jesus in heaven.  

I love that all I can think about tonight is the Resurrection!  Without Easter, we would not have that assurance that we had at dad's funeral.  What a wonderful gift!  I am so thankful for that faithful pastor who took the time to really get my dad to think about Jesus.  After years and years of working as a church secretary, I know that the Easter season is a very busy time for pastors and ALL church workers.   So I encourage you all to not only pray for your pastor, but also show you appreciation next week.   Make sure that they get their days off, and honor their time with their family.  Most importantly, share in the Resurrection celebration tomorrow!   He is risen!  He is risen, indeed!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment