Wednesday, April 16, 2014

What a difference a couple of days makes!

On Monday I wrote about our very odd and awful weather..... snow.  And I included a picture of our front yard.  Well, here it is Wednesday.... just two days later....and there are the buds on our tree.  Green, very obvious leaf buds.   What a big difference.   Don't you just love Chicago weather?  There is the old saying, "If you don't like the weather in Chicago, just wait for a bit, it's bound to change!" Needless to say, I am thrilled to see this green, new evidence that Spring MUST be close at hand!

Yesterday, was another one of those anniversary days for me.   Five years ago on April 15 my mother-in-law, Joanne Rowley, died.   She had been having health problems for several years and the last 6 months of her life she had been in and out of the hospital.   So, her passing in 2009, while sad, was not a surprise.   I looked through all of my pictures to try to find a picture of her and I from the last years of her life.  I was not successful.  I did find this picture of our family with Mom and Dad Rowley on the occasion of their 65th Wedding Anniversary in 2007.
What a blessing it is to have the legacy in our family of long marriages.  I love that Gwen and Doug have been able to see and celebrate 50, 60 and 65th wedding anniversaries, and 90th and even 95th birthdays.   How wonderful it is to be able to talk about these milestones and to remember and share.  I think I have mentioned that Joanne was an amazing artist. We have many, many of her pieces around our home, as do Doug and Gwen.  But I have to share my very favorite today.
This is a very small painting(only about 3" X 5") that Joanne did when she was selling items at art fairs.  I remember her surprise when I asked to have this painting.  It was something that she had just done quickly.  I can't explain why, but when I hold it in my hand and look at it, there is a feeling that comes over me.   Certainly, the subject matter appeals to me.  But I really believe that there is a "Holy Spirit" message in this.   I love that the path is the central focus of the picture.  The destination is not clear.  The path has a church on one side and a home on the other.  And there is balance in this picture.    The church is in the foreground and the home is set back.   This speaks to me of putting God first in all things, followed by family and home.  Then work and everything else should follow that.  In fact, those things should not even be "in the picture".  I can't help but reflect on how messy life can get, when you don't follow this pattern.  When work becomes the most important thing in your life, there is a problem.   When your interests become first on your mind, rather than God, things don't tend to go well.   This painting is in my scrapbooking room and I look at it all the time.   Even though I know that Joanne did not have any of this in mind when she did this painting, I know that Jesus had it in mind.   I am so thankful that she gave me this small painting.

Jesus, thank you for Joanne and the gifts and talents you gave to her.   Thank you for the legacy that you have put in our family that we continue to celebrate.  Holy Spirit, thank you for bringing revelation to me of your intent for that painting.  Jesus, you are God of life and creation.  Thank you for bringing a burst of Springtime after that shot of Winter.   Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment