Friday, April 18, 2014

What can you count on??

Today I discovered that "Priority Mail" at the United States Post Office, that is supposed to be delivered in 2 business days, is NOT guaranteed!  I was surprised and not pleased, to say the least.  You see, I had paid $12.00 to mail our Passport Renewals by Priority Mail, on April 11.  They went in two separate envelopes (per the instructions of the Passport Office) and were mailed in a way that could be tracked....hence the Priority Mail!  While we don't really "need" our passports (since we haven't planned anything yet for our vacation in June), we MIGHT find a way to put them to use that week.  Yes, we procrastinated and should have done this long ago. But thinking that one of our passports might be lost in the mail is not great.   On Monday, April 14, ONE of the checks cleared our bank account.   So I waited a couple of days, figuring that the other would clear.  Only to discover on the tracking sight that one of the two envelopes had sat at the Franklin Park sort center from April 11 until April 17.  Then it seemed to make its way to Philadelphia and was "out for delivery" today.   I just don't get it!   When you pay six dollars to mail something, you sort of just expect that you can count on it getting there in 2 or 3 days.   But, alas, it is the United States Post Office.  I should have known better.
 
I am so thankful that I know, on this Good Friday, exactly what I can count on...... Jesus.  I am so thankful for the events remembered on this day, and for the knowledge that Sunday is coming!  You can count on that.  Today I heard Kelley Mooney's spiritual lyrical adaptation of Leonard Cohen's   Hallelujah  (Click on Hallelujah to hear this song).  I just love the words she has put to this familiar song.  I love that I can remember all of the events of this week....starting at Palm Sunday and the wonderful praise and Hosannas.  Followed by the meaningful Passover Seder - Communion meal. And then the darkness and total sacrifice of Jesus for us on Good Friday.  This is followed by Sunday and the Hallelujah of resurrection, you can count on this!  All of this is about what God has done for us.  How much He loves us!  I have been redeemed!  Hallelujah! 

Yes, I am spending today, in quiet thankfulness, with a bit of Hallelujah thrown in for the reminder of what I CAN count on.  And I am thankful that our second passport hit the processing office today, one week behind the other.  Now, we just need to figure out where to go on vacation!

Jesus, thank you so much for your sacrifice on the cross.  Thank you for your great love and your amazing plan for this world and all of us.   Holy Spirit, thank you for reminders all around us of who you are and all that you have done for us.  Thank you for Kelley Mooney and her gift in song.  Bless her as she continues to share your story.  Continue to reveal Jesus to the world during these special days!  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment