Monday, April 28, 2014

Times of transitions......

When you wake up, and it is cold and rainy and dark and gloomy, it is hard to feel good.  I know I have blogged a lot about the weather over the last months.  And I should NOT be complaining because it was not snowing.  I noticed on my newsfeed on Facebook this morning, that several of my friends had snow in their areas.  Driving up to Gwen's in a downpour rain storm was no fun.  And it is no fun getting kids and backpacks and all the stuff that you need, along with a baby and all of that stuff, inside...........in the middle of a downpour.   But as I was waiting to drop off Ellie and Zeke in their respective rooms for preschool, I noticed something.   There were lots and lots of really happy kids running around.  They were wearing raincoats (that in some cases were a bit too big), rain boots, and many held fun and fancy umbrellas.  They were so glad to finally have rain so that they could use all of these wonderful accessories.  I couldn't pass up this picture, outside of Ellie's classroom.  And the truly ironic part of this picture is that Ellie did NOT wear boots today!  And anyone who knows Ellie, knows that she has been known to wear those rain boots when it is 70 and sunny.  Or 30 and snowy.  But for some reason, today she choose to wear her "heels" (her dress up shoes that have a small heel). 

Anna was being very good this morning, and took a long nap.  So I had plenty of time to think and pray.   What a gift this special time is!  (I am so thankful for this day off that was intended to help Gwen, but has also turned out to be such an amazing time for me, on so many levels).  One of the first things that came to my mind was that I had seen  rows of snow boots for many months, but this was the first time there had been RAIN boots. So I am celebrating that there has been a transition!  Yes, in the physical...from snow to rain.  From winter to spring. From snow boots to rain boots.  But can't you just "feel" the transition in the Spiritual also?   I can't quite describe it, or put my finger on it, but to me to feels like a shift has happened.  

To be honest, this year has not been a "beautiful spring".  There have hardly been any flowers around yet.  The trees haven't bloomed yet. (Still waiting on our tree to bloom).  But today I was thinking how wonderful the rain really is.  Both the physical rain and the Spiritual rain.  Most years the rain is just sort of an annoyance in the early spring.  This year the rain is so much more.  It says that there will be NO MORE SNOW!  In the Spiritual, the rain of the Holy Spirit this year seems to also have that same feel.....no more darkness and cold.  I don't know about you, but in worship and/or prayer there seems to be an anticipation and excitement that is just different.  It feels a lot like those little preschoolers must have felt this morning.   You know, excited and happy and glowing and free - just because it was raining.   I can't wait to see what is coming! 

Jesus, thank you so much for rain!  Thank you for washing us clean in your blood.  Thank you for that Spiritual rain that the Holy Spirit brings to us.  Jesus keep us all expectant and excited about what you have in store for us.  Remind us to celebrate each day like those kids. Give us courage and grace to run in the rain and jump in the puddles.    Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment