Saturday, April 12, 2014

The contrasts of today.........

Today is the day.  Three years ago today, I lost my mom.  She was truly more than just my mom.  We shared and laughed and enjoyed each other so much.  I just love this very old photo of us.  It is a "casual" photo - not posed.  And we don't have many pictures like that!  It was taken at "the lake". And I just love the look on my mom's face.   It was taken in 1955.  I assume that the cat belonged to my grandmother.  I know that she always had at least one cat around.  Most likely, she had brought it down to our cabin from the farm. I decided that this was the picture I would share today, in honor of my mom. I love remembering that she is now, celebrating with Jesus.

This has really been an amazing day, something that I didn't expect. First of all, it was actually WARM!  Like 75 degrees warm.  Remember that this winter was brutal and the ice and snow seemed to last forever!  So a day with the sun out and no coat required is really something to celebrate!  There was a short, very stormy period this morning, but it past quickly, and the sun came out again. 

And then the doorbell rang.  It was a neighbor telling us that a piece of siding near the peak of our house was "flapping in the breeze".  Needless to say, we ran out to take a look.  And there, on the OTHER side of the house, was the very loose siding. (See my post from November 29, 2013 - we had a piece of siding blow off in the same location - on the opposite side of the house)  Ken got out are very short ladder and our very long tree trimmer tool and tried to push that siding back so it wouldn't blow all the way off, lest we lose it!  Thankfully, as soon as he touched the piece, it fell to the ground.  So we are now in possession of THAT piece of siding.  However, there is still a LARGE piece that is loose. And it was Saturday, at noon.   The soonest that we could arrange for anyone to come out to repair this is Monday afternoon.  It is supposed to rain and storm over the next 24 hours, so we are praying that piece of siding stays put!  

To finish off the day I went to an amazing church service.  I just loved the wonderful worship and the sermon was great.   I felt as if the entire service had been planned for me.  The sermon topic was from 1John 5 beginning at verse 13.   It was about KNOWING! (See my comment from yesterday about Lia, just knowing).  The point was that knowing was more than understanding.  It was having absolute assurance. During the sermon the Pastor shared an interesting list of the contrasts that are expressed all through out the book of 1John.  Here was the list....

God (Love)      Satan (Sin)
Truth                 Lies
Light                 darkness
Life                   death
confidence        fear
love                   hate

The thing about this list is that these represent what it is like to live either in the Kingdom of God or the kingdom of Satan.  Without the KNOWING and the assurance, when we are in the world, our life is filled with lies, darkness, death, fear and hate.  I am so blessed to have that knowing - the assurance of living in the Kingdom of the King of Kings!  A place of truth, light, life, confidence and love.  

In each of the events of today..... there is the contrast.   My mom died, but she is celebrating with Jesus!  There was a time of storms today, but the sun came out again!  Our siding came loose, but we were able to retrieve the piece - it wasn't lost!  We live IN the world, but we are not OF the world.  Coming into this Holy Week, I am so thankful that I have the assurance - that deep knowing that Jesus is all that I need.  I am so grateful for Jesus' work on the cross, and his marvelous resurrection! 

Jesus, thank you!   For contrasts, for blessings, for all that you do in our lives.  Thank you for guiding and directing us to the exact places that we need to be.   Thank you for memories, for moms and for the assurance of our eternal life!   Holy Spirit, help us all to spend time this week, remembering all that Jesus has done for us.   Thank you for the assurance that comes from KNOWING!  Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment