Sunday, August 17, 2014

Another even longer day on the beach....and more.

 
Here I am, under that blue canopy on the right of the picture.  On the far left, the last balcony on the top floor, is our room.  We had such a great day sitting on the beach.  We were actually out there for more than 6 hours.  Ken went to the hotel snack bar and got us some lunch, so we didn't have to leave the beach.  I spent more time in the water today than I have EVER.   For some reason, on this trip, I have just loved being in the ocean.  Usually I just walk in, get wet and get out.  Not so this time. And, unfortunately, my body shows it today!  My face got burned around my swim goggles.  Apparently they rub the sunscreen off and I must not have applied quite enough.  I also got burned on my upper arm area, just one crazy spot that must have missed the reapply of the sunscreen.  I look pretty silly. 
And here is the evidence that I was actually in the water.  Ken took this picture as I was coming out of the water.  I never thought I'd be posting a swimming suit picture, but here it is.  I love the two little birdies in the background.  They are my favorite kind of little beach bird. 
 
Part of the reason I am posting this swimming suit picture is that I recently saw a blog and facebook post that included a picture of a mom laying on the beach in a swimming suit.  She was so angry and just appalled at the picture that she found on her phone.  Apparently her children had taken the picture.  When she asked them about the photo, they both exclaimed that this was just a wonderful and beautiful picture.  They saw her as beautiful.  And they were remembering the great time that they had with her on the beach.  She saw all of her flaws, but they saw her as beautiful.  I want to remember this vacation and the great times that we have had.  I also want to keep the perspective of thankfulness - not only for the vacation, but for the fact that I can still BE in the water, walk on the sand, and enjoy life so much. Whatever I look like in a swimming suit.   Isn't it true that we are our own worst critics? 
 
Today I saw some families having wonderful times together on the beach and in the water.  There was one little boy, around 8 or 9 years old.  He had a baby brother who I would guess was around a year old.  There was also a sister around 4 or 5 years old.  Mom had her hands full with this bunch!  But that little boy held his baby brother right at the edge of the water and let him splash and play in the water.  What a picture that was.  And then mom finally got sister to join them and she snapped some photo's on her phone.  These will be keeper pictures for sure.  In the same way, the pictures that Ken took of me today, are all keepers!  I am so thankful for all of the pictures I have!  Pictures are a memory treasure. 
 
This morning I was reading Isaiah 45.  I love this particular chapter of Isaiah.  And as I was typing this blog, I was remembering this passage verse 3 of Isaiah 45.......
 
"I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am Yahweh, the God of Israel, who calls you by name."
 
Yes, all of these great memories are treasures and riches.  And I am so thankful that all around us are reminders of the love and care of Jesus that includes treasures and riches that sometimes go unnoticed.  I am going to be more aware of the little things around me and watching for the wonders that come from Jesus.
 
Jesus, thank you for the ocean, the sunshine and time to relax with Ken.  Holy Spirit, help me to hold on to today's lesson.  Give me eyes to see the ways you bless me with treasures and riches.  Help us all to have the perspective to see and feel your love and care for us.  Jesus, thank you for calling me by name.  Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment