Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The purpose of the trip.... what a blessing!

Here we are with Ken's dad, who is 94 years old and failing.  We made this trip to see him.  And I am so glad that we did.  You know how you really don't know how much you miss someone, until you see them again?  Well that is true with dad.  Ken and I spent lots of time with his parents.  They lived quite close to us and we would often just stop by on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  I have really missed being able to just drop in and talk with dad.  He had been in Florida since 2009, shortly after Ken's mom died.  We have seen him once each year since then.  And the change in him since last year is quite dramatic.  He wasn't so sure who we were, although  Ken's sister Sue had told him over and over that we were coming.  He seemed very confused  most of the time and often interjected odd comments.  Clearly his time with us is very short.  Being 24/7 caregivers has really taken a toll on Ken's sister and brother-in-law.  They have finally added nighttime caregivers and also nurses that come daily to help with his care.  But still, dad wants Sue to do most things for him.  And he depends on her.  Being here this year, makes me appreciate our visit last year so much!  I blogged about our time here and a conversation I had with dad that assured me that he knew Jesus and what his ultimate destination was.  I couldn't help but replay that conversation over in my head tonight, when he was so confused and distant.  So once again, I will encourage you to have those conversations NOW with the people you love.  Don't wait.  None of us knows exactly the length of our days.  I can rest easier tonight knowing that Jesus will soon call dad home, to a place that is wonderful and free from pain and suffering.  And I know that I will one day be there to see him again. 

Seeing Ken with his two sisters, laughing and talking made me miss my own siblings!   The way this world has become, everyone is so distant and so busy it is hard to stay connected.  I think that my disconnect from my siblings is part of the reason why I am so connected to my own children.  I do not want to let being busy or a bit of a drive away, keep us from spending time together.  And I am grateful that our kids want to spend time with  us. 

We have another day to spend with Ken's family.  And I am feeling blessed for this time.  It is a long, long trip, but it is worth it.  I know that even though dad may not know that we are here visiting him, deep in his spirit, he does know.  And more than that, I KNOW! 

Jesus, thank you for the provision for us to be able to make this trip to see dad.  Holy Spirit, bring your comfort and peace into dad and into the entire household.  Thank you for Sue and Wayne and their loving care for dad for these last years.  Continue to bless them and give them peace and rest.  Thank you for providing people to assist in dad's everyday care.  Jesus you know exactly what dad needs and you know the number of his days.  Thank you for your great love for us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment