Saturday, August 16, 2014

Surprise on viewing a sunset

 Ken loves taking pictures of sunsets.  So needless to say, we set out to find a spot to view the sunset over the intercostal waterway.  At first it didn't seem that we were going to find a good spot.  But then Ken remembered a little park we found last year.  We had actually gone there to see Manatees.  But it was a perfect sunset viewing spot. 
When we got to the park, we thought we might not be able to go in since the entire parking lot is being redone.  But thankfully they were allowing you to drive and park on the grass. (Ken commented that if it were Illinois they would have constructed a temporary parking lot and entrance that would cost thousands of dollars.  In Florida they just rope off some grass and let you park there!)  We arrived with about 15 minutes to spare.  I caught this first picture of a pelican against the sky.   And then this surprise.......
 
Right in front of us, not 15 feet off of the shore, in very shallow water, there was a dolphin. We watched it swim slowly past us, cresting the surface.  It was breathtaking. 

I know that this might seem like a really little thing. But to me, it was such a gift.  We had seem some dolphins this morning, why out in the ocean.  I had thought to myself, "boy I wish I could see those dolphins up close".  I hadn't thought much about those dolphins.  Over the years, we have seen them from time to time.  I know that they run "dolphin tours" here and even have a "swim with the dolphins" place near here.  But for me, this was much better and even more personal.  I really felt this was for me.

Isn't it great how Jesus seems to know the desires of our hearts?  I was just stunned after I saw that dolphin.  If anything, I was expecting to possibly see a manatee.  But as soon as I realized that it was a dolphin I was seeing, I remembered that thought from earlier today.  How amazing.

We had a really nice day.  We spent about 5 hours on the beach, (remember my request from yesterday for sunshine? Well, we had those 5 hours of wonderful sun) leaving only when dark threatening clouds announced rain and storms on the way.  We had a wonderful lunch of fresh seafood at our favorite restaurant, came back to the hotel and relaxed for several hours.  And we finished the day with this great time seeing this sunset. 

Yes, I love the smell of sunscreen mixed with insect repellant.  And the feel of sand under my feet and the sound of waves crashing on the shore.  Perfect end to a great day. 

Jesus, thank you for that dolphin that just showed up.  It is your hand that paints the sky with colors and fills our hearts with joy as we see the beauty of nature.  Open our eyes to see the many ways you touch our everyday life.  Keep us all aware of your presence with us and around us.  Thank you for the ocean and the sunshine!  Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment