Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Some things never change!

I just had to use this picture tonight!  I'll let you in on a little secret of our household.  Ken eats lots of Popsicles.....STILL!  As a matter of fact, he was sitting in his recliner, having a popsicle when I came upstairs a bit ago.  Granted that the ones in our freezer these days are "sugar free", but they are still popsicles!  Apparently he has always liked them!  This picture is Ken and a cousin at somewhere around 2 or 3 years old.  Yes, some things never change.

I accomplished quite a number of things today, including applying for several jobs.  It was a very pleasant surprise to receive a call to schedule an in-person interview for Friday afternoon for one of these jobs.  So, I will continue my patient waiting and trust that if this is the job for me, all will work out.  Prayers are appreciated!

I have been thinking about one of those silly Facebook "tests" that so often come up on your newsfeed.  "What career were you meant for?"  I got WRITER!
Just a couple of years ago I would have said that this was ridiculous.  But here I am writing a blog. And in truth-telling, I have had more than one prophetic word and several dreams about writing a book.  And I have written a small booklet (which I talked about in a previous blog).  But actually thinking of myself with a "career" as a writer, seems......well unreal.  I am really mystified by this small exercise that came up with this conclusion after my answers to 13 questions.  If it is just random, it is pretty amazing.  Several of my Facebook friends have gotten "therapist" and more than one of them actually DO that job.  I think it was interesting to me especially in this time of job searching, since I am really not exactly sure where I am supposed to be and what I am supposed to be doing!  

In light of the "title" I put on this post tonight, I guess that a career IS something that can change.  I have been a babysitter, cashier, secretary, loan processor, loan closer, loan shipper, secretary, nanny, and teacher assistant in careers that actually paid a salary.  I have also been a youth leader, Sunday school superintendent, children's ministry director, small group facilitator, and countless other "volunteer" positions in various churches and ministries.  So, looking at that list, my "career" has certainly changed many, many times.    This funny thing about this is that with the exception of my last rather short lived job, I have stayed at my three previous jobs 4 years, 13 years,  and 6 years.  So I am not exactly a "job hopper".  Given the test above (and this blog), I guess I should add writer to my list of "volunteer" jobs.  

All I can think about is Jeremiah 29:11-14a.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me,  and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you," declares the Lord.

I love these Bible verses for so many reasons.   He knows the plans he has for me!  They are good plans for now and the future.  He will listen to me!  And when I look for Him, I WILL find him.  So I don't have to figure out the best career I should have.  I just need to seek Jesus with my whole heart and He will take care of the rest.  What a great thought to end this busy day.  

Jesus, thank you for bringing me full circle today on my job search.  You are in charge of the details of this and so I will trust.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the reminder that it is good that some things never seem to change.  But also it is good that we DO change and grow.  Thank you for wonderful childhood treats that can still satisfy us today.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment