Thursday, August 7, 2014

The best kind of "Tea Party" around!

 
 
Yesterday I got invited to a very special "Tea Party", hosted by Ellie.  It was sort of an impromptu party when I watched the kids at the last minute so Gwen could attend a meeting.  

Zeke was also invited!  He was quite happy to attend.  Fortunately, Anna decided it was a great time to take a nap, so she skipped the festivities and slept peacefully in the playpen right next to me.   Just that morning Gwen posted a picture of Ellie and a tea party they were having!  I commented that I would like to be there.  So it was wonderful when Ellie proceeded to set up everything and ask me to attend!  That was simply the best 45 minutes I have spent in a long time.  Ellie and Zeke both talked about so many different things!  We had some wonderful conversation about food (based on the play food that was being served!) but there was also some interesting information shared!  Regarding the food, I found out that Ellie doesn't really like anything right now and Zeke likes everything!  (This is actually pretty true -  Ellie did finally say that she likes "ice cream, Frosties, donuts, and pizza."  And after a short pause she added "daddy's pancakes").  Then the conversation got serious.  Ellie shared several versions of some books she recently read.  She told me all about her recent vacation to Florida (she was surprised that I knew that the ocean was salty and tasted bad).  And then she revealed that she is nervous to go to school in a few weeks (she starts Kindergarten and will be riding a bus with Lia and going for the WHOLE day!) It was so wonderful to have this concentrated time with these two amazing kids!  I am very blessed. 

Isn't it true that when we sit down and eat with someone, we share more if there is food on the table?  I love that the Bible is full of stories that include food and meals.  And I especially love that Jesus gave us clear instructions to include food every time we gather together, during his instructions at the Last Supper.  I suppose it is no surprise then, that most churches have food at the majority of events held.  I can assure you that I have attended more than my share of "church suppers" which ALWAYS include a "hot dish" (this is just another word for a casserole that must be "Minnesotan") and jello in some form.  And I have at least 6 church cookbooks that I use often!  Yes, I appreciate all that food has added to my church experience. 

My home group always has food and I really believe that is one of the reasons we are so close.  We talk about so many different things over our plates of food.  By the time we sit down to do our Bible study and to pray together, we are already bonded together in the meal.  I am very grateful for this special group! 

I love that Jesus gave us lots of incentive to eat together.  And when Jesus is in the center of the eating, when you are spending time talking about things that are really important, when great discussions happen, it is simply the best. 

Now don't you just want to go and find something to eat and someone to be with?  Don't you want to plan a tea party for some friends, or relatives, or neighbors?  Well, I say, GO and DO THIS!     And be blessed!

Jesus, thank you for this special tea party with Ellie and Zeke.  Thank you for that very sweet and relaxing time just listening.  Holy Spirit, what a wonderful gift you have given us to draw us together over food.  Give us all a nudge to invite others to eat together!  Give us courage and boldness to ask and follow through with this and then give us wisdom and grace to really listen and share!  Thank you for this reminder that fellowship with food is so important.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment