Sunday, August 24, 2014

Leaving a mark......

I just got back from my home group meeting and we had a really interesting discussion tonight.  You just never know exactly how that meeting is going to go, but one thing is sure, you will leave with lots of things to "chew" on.  The picture above is from Ft. Pulaski.  You might recall from one of my previous blogs, I mentioned that Ken and I visited there while we were in Savannah, GA.  On the way home tonight, I was thinking about this picture.  I purposely took this picture with the intent to scrapbook it.  At first glance, you most likely can not figure out what this is!  That track in the floor is the mark from the cannon being slid back and forth to be positioned to fire a specific direction.  I touched that mark in the floor and thought about the mark that had been here since 1863.  I imagined all of the people who had a part in shifting that cannon that made this mark.  Yes, this was a lasting mark.

I had a really interesting experience on Saturday.  Ken and I, having just returned from vacation, were at our local Sams store to restock our cupboards.  I was really just thinking about what we needed, when suddenly, there right in from of me, was one of the kids who had been in my care as a nanny, for over 4 years.  This tall, grown up 2nd grader was just a little two year old when we first met.  I haven't seen him for almost a year.  He ran to me and hugged me so tight.  With tears he told me that he prays for me every night. And then he told me that he has the Bible storybook that I gave him, and because I inscribed that book to him, he always "has Ms. Lyn" with him when he reads that book.  WOW!  The fact that the book means so much to him is really neat.  And that my inscription is important is such a surprise.  I did not realize that I was "leaving a mark" when I gave that book as a gift to a sweet little boy.  It was so good to see him and get that hug!  I have really missed him.  After seeing these kids nearly everyday for 4 years,  not seeing them for a year has been very difficult.  I am going to make plans to get together with them soon.

Isn't it amazing how Jesus will remind us that we are actually making a difference when we do His work?  I really felt called to be a nanny for that family and knew that my work there was the work of Jesus.  It was such a blessing to be a part of the destiny and plan for those families.  But I never really thought about leaving a lasting mark.  It was an unexpected revelation.

Tomorrow I will begin the search for a new job.  I have a bit of a different perspective right now, even different than just a few hours ago.  While I know that the exact place and type of work has already been prepared for me, finding it is something else!  I know that the timing of running into sweet little Sean was not an accident.  Jesus is reminding me that He is charge and I just need to follow his leading.  That is exactly how I ended up as a nanny.

Jesus, thank you for all the ways that you touch us through everyday events.  What a joy and surprise it was to see Sean!  Please bless those families with your care and love.  Holy Spirit, guide and direct me tomorrow and help me to find the exact right place to work. What a wonderful reminder that we can all leave lasting marks on the people we encounter.  Help us to leave the most important mark - Jesus - on all that we meet.
And thank you again, for my small group.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment