Friday, August 15, 2014

What I've been waiting for...........

These are my feet in the Atlantic Ocean!  Yes, this is what I've been waiting for.  I can already feel my spirit just settling with the movement of the water and the waves.  Even though it was raining, Ken and I had to take a walk down to the beach.  It felt wonderful.  Our room is gorgeous....a third floor suite with a private ocean view balcony.  This room is truly a gift.  I did a survey last summer after our stay at this hotel and noted both some positive and negative things about our stay.  I got an email from the manager who asked for further clarification.  I took the time to respond to him, and received a certificate for a stay in this amazing room.  Ken and I actually stayed in this same type of room at this same hotel in 1999 when we came here for our 25th Wedding anniversary.  Back then we were using points from Ken's constant travel so we also didn't pay for this room.  I simply love this place! 

This morning before we left Savannah, we decided to go to the "Mighty 8th Air Force Museum".  It was just a few miles from our hotel so felt we didn't want to miss it.  I am so thankful that we made this choice.  We were the only ones in the place, except for the workers.  It was much larger than we expected and once again, I learned stuff that I never knew about history!  Kinda makes me wonder what I DID learn in school.  The first part of the museum included film strips and narrative about the destruction of London by the Nazi air strikes.  I just didn't realize the scope of the fighting and the amount of damage that London (and all of England) had.  I was honestly upset when they ran some newsreels showing Roosevelt before a large crowd and the people were all chanting "we won't go".  There was no way that the United States wanted to get involved in this battle.  Yet, just a short time later, after Pearl Harbor, our Mighty 8th Air Force, stepped in and finally turned the tide against Germany.  There were some amazing artifacts, clothing, and pictures through out the museum.  In one room there was a frame on the wall that contained small embroidered pieces of fabric that had been made by the Dutch women of the resistance in the concentration camps.  The idea that they could make such amazing work with NOTHING!  They used small broken needles and tore thread from their clothing.  I couldn't imagine the skill and patience of these women in such a horrible place.


 There was also a Memorial Garden outside of the museum.  Again, amazing.  And in the garden was this chapel.
It was designed to resemble an English Chapel.  I was surprised that I could go inside.  Ken was taking photo's of some airplanes, so I had the chapel to myself.  There was such a sweet spirit in that small space. 
This stained glass was behind the altar.  I loved that it was Jesus and a depicted airman of the Mighty 8th.  There were stained glass windows lining the side of the sanctuary also. 
I took pictures of each of the windows, but this one really stuck out to me.  I love that Jesus is walking on the ground below the plane.  These men truly believed and knew that Jesus was going ahead of them.  I love the power and strength that Jesus shows in this window.  Yes, they were on a mission.......... a mission from God. 
 
There was instrumental music playing and I sat in the quiet.  It was so powerful.  The way things are in 2014, it is easy to forget that such a short time ago, Jesus was in a prominent place in our military.  I was so thankful for this permanent reminder that these men who fought and many who gave their lives.  And I was reminded, as I sat there, that even if we can't see the obvious presence of Jesus today, He IS there in the same way.  I am feeling so grateful for the powerful Jesus that is the foundation of our country.  Yes, this was a highlight of this trip for me. 
 
Even though it was storming as we arrived today at our favorite spot, I am just filled with thankfulness.  I am just letting the sound of the waves wash over me.  And breathing deeply. 
 
Jesus, thank you for your guidance and protection of our military.  Holy Spirit, I am so grateful that you directed us to that museum today.  Thank you for the chance to grow in understanding of the great sacrifices that were made to maintain our freedom.  Jesus, thank you for provision that is allowing us to have this wonderful vacation.  But Jesus, could we see the sunshine tomorrow, please!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment