Friday, August 29, 2014

Celebrating an anniversary.....

Today would have been Ken's mom and dad's 72nd wedding anniversary.  Here they are on August 29, 1942.  I can certainly see Ken's sister Sue when I look at this picture of his mom.  I think it is especially hard this year, knowing that Ken's dad is doing so poorly.  I am not sure if it is a blessing that he really won't be aware of the importance of this day.  That does mean that he will not be missing Joanne.  What a blessing it is that Gwen and Doug got to be a part of celebrating past anniversaries with Grandma and Grandpa.  
This was taken in 1992 on Mom and Dad's 50th Anniversary.  (I just noticed that we are sitting on the sofa that is currently in our house!  The one we just had recovered last year.  Wow, I didn't realize it was quite that old!)  
This picture was taken on their 60th Wedding Anniversary.  As you can see, Tim has joined the family by this point in 2002.  
And finally, this was their 65th Anniversary in 2007.  And we have added Susie and that cutie in the front is Lia (age 1).  Ken's mom died about 2 years after in 2009.  

I am so thankful that we were able to be a part of these celebrations.  It is a wonderful memory and more than that, I am grateful to have these photos.  These are events that need to celebrated, remembered and honored.  

Yes, it is a bittersweet thing to look at these pictures.  I am glad that we just saw dad and I got to give him a hug.  Even this year, I loved listening to his stories, in spite of the fact that not much of what he said was making sense.  It reminded me of the years and years that Ken and I sat around their dining room table, listening to amazing stories of people and places that he had encountered. I am blessed to know Mervin T. Rowley, and truly honored that he is my father in law.  

Jesus, thank you for your plan and destiny that brought me into Ken's family.  What a blessing it is to remember important dates and watch, through pictures, my own family grow.  Holy Spirit, continue to bring peace and comfort to dad.  Fill him with your love and surround him with your arms.  Help us all to appreciate what we have in our extended family.  Keep us aware of our blessings!   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment