Wednesday, August 20, 2014

End of our visit and more memories of my own dad.........

Here is a picture that I love, although it is kind of rough to see.  It is Ken and his dad in July of 1953.  I love this picture. Our visit today with dad was kind of sad.  I don't think he really knew that we were there.  We tried to engage him in several conversations, but he would get frustrated and not be able to finish his thought.  It was both good and bad that he didn't seem to care when we left.  It wasn't emotional since he just acted like it was no big deal.  I was glad that he was not upset.  That was good.  But it was very sad that he didn't really appreciate our leaving.  I am really thankful for this visit.  And I know that it was important for Ken.  
 
Today was Ken's sister Sue and his brother-in-law Wayne's 48th wedding anniversary.  We started talking about the date and I realized that today would have been my dad's 101st birthday. 
 I decided to include this picture of my dad.  I love this picture, it just captures my dad's personality.  And I can't get over how much Doug looks like my dad in this picture.  Yes, seeing Ken's dad at the end of his life, had made me miss my dad more.  My dad actually died in 1985 so I have been without him around for a long time - almost 30 years.  And I think this is why I have been already feeling the loss of Ken's dad - at least the way he always was.  

It's no doubt, dad's are an important part of our lives.  They provide us with our first real picture of our heavenly father.  It is often our dads who have the hardest time accepting that fact that we are no longer little children.  And dads give great hugs. 

Yes, it's been a hard couple of days emotionally.  But it has also been a few days of good times of fun and laughter, catching up with Ken's sisters and brother-in-laws.  I am really glad that we got to spend this time moving through this chapter for our family. 

Today there was a serious group of tropical storms that moved through this area.  There was thunder, lightening and wind as well as periods of hard rain.  The lights flickered and faltered and then finally went out all together.  We watched an alligator patrolling the lake behind Ken's sister's house, seemingly un-phased by the storm.  A flock of Ibis flew in and settled on the lake.  If it weren't for the storm, it would have been simply amazing.  We had a wonderful dinner and then, as we were leaving their home for the hotel, there was an amazing sunset.  The thunder was still rumbling but the power was restored.  I love that this was quite a picture of what is happening in our family right now.  This is a dark and stormy period at the end of dad's life.  It is a time of uncertainty and stress.  It seems pretty dark.  and a bit nervous right now.  The lights are flickering right now, and soon they will go out for dad.  But Ken and his sisters and all of us who love dad, will find that the lights will come back on for us.  There will be beauty and peace and joy when we move through this time.  And I love that I can picture both of my dad's, happy and at peace, filled with joy, celebrating in heaven.

Jesus, thank you for the assurance that we have that your care for us continues even when our life here ends.  Thank you for this time to come together with family as we all walk through this transition.  Father, there are many other families going through exactly the same thing that we are.   Please cover them all with your love and give them joy during this time of impending loss.  Holy Spirit, reach out and touch those facing death.  Surround them and draw them close with the assurance of your presence and promises.   Thank you for storms and sunsets after the passing of the clouds.  Amen
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment