Sunday, August 31, 2014

When it's so close you can almost touch it.......

I was thinking about the title of this blog, and suddenly this picture popped into my mind.  I took this picture while standing on Canadian soil.  And that point in this picture is New York, USA.  It is so close and yet, so far away.  Separated by the Niagara River, two countries with very different governments and laws.  I was on foreign soil, seeing my homeland but unable to get there.  Now I was not in anyway distressed by that fact at that time.   I was on a wonderful adventure, anticipating seeing Niagara Falls.  I had no fear of being out of my country.

I thought I was close to finding a new job.  It seemed like it might really work out.  But, alas, even though it was so close, I just couldn't touch it.  This was my call.  I decided that this job just would not work out for me.  I actually was offered the job, with some conditions.  But some things are just not worth it.  And this is one of those times.  So, I will continue with my job search and trust that Jesus will provide exactly the right job at the right time.

I had this show up in my email today....another one of those messages from that Facebook sight.

Today, Lyn, we believe God wants you to know that ...
the quality of life is a result of many small actions.
It's not New Year resolutions, nor big promises that make or break life,
 it's the innumerable small actions you take every hour that compound 
into a life well lived.  Look at how  you are living moment to moment to know whether
 at the end of your life  you will be looking back with pride or sorrow.

I love when these things hit at exactly where I am - right at this moment!  I've been thinking a lot about the quality of life recently.  I have also been thinking about the end of life after visiting with Ken's dad.  And here is the thing, right now Ken's dad is doing a lot of looking back with sorrow.  He seems to be locked into a place of only seeing the negative and bad things from his 94 years.  Now I know that this is due, in part, to dementia.  But it has caused me to think about how I am living my own life.  I love the thought above, that it is every little small thing that makes the difference.  After I first read this thought, I have been thinking about the little things in my life right now.  And there are many.  The special times with Anna, Zeke, Ellie and Lia.... and Gwen.  I don't think I could ever make so many great memories any other way than spending time with them.  I am so thankful for the time that I get to spend with Ken. We seem to always find ways to laugh - usually at ourselves for some silly thing that has happened.  Tomorrow we are spending time together - all of us - including Doug and Susie - and I know that there will be many small things that will become wonderful memories.  

I don't know about you, but I want to remember this lesson and hold on to the message.  This is really a BIG thing!  Isn't that just like Jesus?  So many truths seem like an oxymoron.  You know, things like "when you are weak than you will be strong"  or "you need to die to live".   In this case, it's the little things that are really the big thing.  This is one truth that will stay with me, thanks to the timing of the message, I really get it.  I encourage you all to see the small things in your life and appreciate what might be happening in those things.  Let's all decide to keep our eyes on the moments that will bring us long term happiness.  

Jesus, thank you for giving us concrete ways to understand your truths.  Help us to grow in understanding this important truth that the small actions we make can have long term consequences toward a well lived life.  Holy Spirit, give us eyes to see the little things that really matter.  Thank you for your grace and discernment that steered me away from a bad decision about a job.  Jesus, I know that you have something for me.  Increase my patience, and help me wait and search with a spirit of peace and joy.   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment