Thursday, August 14, 2014

Exploring Savannah!

We had a wonderful day today exploring Savannah.  We started out going out to Tybee Island.  We were not impressed.  Its very crowded and not what we thought it was going to be.  We did see the lighthouse (which I posted a picture of on Facebook).  We did not pay the ridiculous amount to go up in the lighthouse - it just didn't seem worth it.  As we were leaving Tybee Island, we saw a National Park called Fort Pulaski National Monument.
I admit that my total recall of Civil War history is somewhat sketchy.  Today I know that I learned things that I had never been taught!  This amazing monument was a strategic fort, captured in 1862 by the Northern troops and became the southern most base for the Union army throughout the Civil War.  It was so interesting to see how the fort was constructed and actual pictures from that time period.  Yes, we were so glad we stopped here.  An added bonus was that the entry Ranger told us that Ken could purchase a lifetime pass to ALL National Parks that only cost $10!  That's right - lifetime pass for Ken and 3 guests to every National Park.  We could hardly believe it.  I'm sure we will be using that pass in the future.
 
From the fort, we went to historic downtown Savannah.  Ken's coworker had told us that we HAD to visit the famous "Leopold Ice Cream Parlor".  So we made that our first stop.  We had great sandwiches and finished up with some really good ice cream.  Again, so worth the stop.   We walked all around the historic district.  There are all kinds of "town squares" and I was surprised to see this...........

Yes, John Wesley was actually a minister in Savannah from 1736 - 1737.  The streets are mostly cobblestone or even actual stones!  Really interesting.  We walked to the river front and watched lots of big cargo ships coming and going.  And I loved this...
All of the Spanish Moss hanging everywhere.  Even on the lights!  I did feel like I was in a different time and place. 

There is an element all around Savannah about the occult, ghosts and hauntings.  They run several "ghost" tours that go to all of the "haunted" places around town.  I was surprised and pleased to see that they are honoring John Wesley.  There are a couple of churches in the downtown area, but the overall spiritual tone is heavy and dark.  I was glad to leave the area.  I did lots of praying as I was walking the streets, or sitting on benches waiting while Ken took photos.  I would say that I am glad we visited Savannah, but we will most likely not coming back here. 

Tomorrow we leave for Florida and the best part of the trip, in my estimation!  We will be spending several days mostly just sitting on the beach.  I love the ocean and I can't wait! 

Jesus, thank you for the spiritual roots you have in Savannah.  Thank you for John Wesley and the work that he did in this area.  Holy Spirit, give grace and strength to all of your people in this area.  Pour out your love and power over all who know you.  Jesus, give us all boldness and courage to be your representatives wherever we are, letting your light shine through us into this dark world.   Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment